In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

17 cal

timothyhaas1timothyhaas1 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
edited April 2010 in Ask the Experts
I just won a savage 93 BTVSS in 17 cal. and I was wondering what would be the best scope to put on it.

Comments

• dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Best" is a pretty tall order to define and kind of tough to nail down, but plain old Muellers have a very good rep with the rimfire people. I have a few, nice and clear and don't cost too much.

Many others out there and others will post their likes.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hard to offer advice without knowing your intended use. Bench work? Range? Field walking? etc. etc.
  • timothyhaas1timothyhaas1 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would like to use for bench at 100 yards. perhaps a little varmint hunting also. I would think under $ 500.00
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 93 came with a Bushnell 3-9x that seems to work pretty well. I cranked it to 9x for sight in (still can't actually see those little bitty holes at 100 yards) and hunt bunnies, and jack rabbits at 3-4x.
  • ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put a recent production Bushnell Banner 3x9x40 with euro focus on my 17hmr and it is deadly out to 150yds. 200yds is pushing it but there have been more the a couple small varmints taken with it at that range. I paid less the $100 and for my older eyes the glass is just about as good as my leupolds. I just wouldn't trust one in a heavier recoil situation.
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    I've got a Simmons WTC 6.5-20x50 on my 93 in 22 magnum... very nice, adjustable focus, I can see 22 holes at 200 yards with it ...
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put a Leupold Vari-X III 6.5-20x50 on my 10/22 Target and haven't regretted it for a second. While the .17 is a little more expensive to shoot than my .22, I wouldn't be surprised if that becomes your favorite gun to shoot just because you can shoot it often enough to become quite good with it.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • timhill100timhill100 Member Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i put a leoupold rifle scope on mine not to keen on those itty bitty rimfire scopes its like looking through a straw,
    straight 6 power is what i put on it
    shoots real nice 1'' groups at 150 yards, never shot it any further than that
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your budget for a scope is up to $500.00, then mount a Sightron SII 6.5-20x42 mil-dot on it. You should be able to get into this for under $400.00. It has awesome clearity, and repeatability for the dollars spent. I have one on a Cooper model 38 Montana Varminter, in 17 Remington Fireball. I can tell you where in the head I am going to shoot Abe Lincon on a penny at 100 yards, on a dead calm day, and keep them all on the penny at 200 yards.

Best
  • nicholas81_4nicholas81_4 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a .17HMR and I bought a BSA sweet 17 scope that is made for the .17cal. it is meant to be use with the 17gr. or 20gr. bullet. for what I see its been a good scope for the money.