In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

boresighters

magicms1234magicms1234 Member Posts: 73
edited January 2011 in Ask the Experts
hi wondered what was better in a laser boresighter. The arbor type ( laser fits into various caliber sleeves )or the one with the laser built into the caliber cartridge? plus the end of barrel type? also brand name? Know they all do the same thing but looking for relilable an durability. Any help would be nice thanks mike

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I have a BORE sighter mine is not a lazer type but has a screen with a grid. It has different spud for each bore size. I love mine I sight rifle in with it to get on paper then do fine adjustment to get exact ZERO . Now I put the bore sighter back in and make a record of ehere the scope hairs are on the grid. I store all rifle records in a box now I can remove scope and then reinstall and be within an inch or two . I take bore sighter and record with me on any long distance hunting trip Then I can check if I think it may have gotten damaged in travel or if I drop rifle ETC without having to shoot the gun.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Bushnell bore sight that I've used for years with excellent results. There are 3 arbors that cover every thing from about .22-45 caliber and I have a fourth one that covers 12 gauge as well.
  • Options
    Mike FinkMike Fink Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Magicisms- The lazer that is a cartridge is the best as far as safety is concerned. I use them due to the fact that I have come too close to leaving them in at the range. I have also had the arbor types but the one I purchased was so out of whack that I still did it the "old fashioned way". None are ideal.-Mike
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too have the collimators (have two sets) and prefers it over the laser type. Also use it as perry shooter has indicated.

All boresightings are done at home (never at the range) and then do final POI adjustments at the range.
  • Options
    bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    I have a BORE sighter mine is not a lazer type but has a screen with a grid. It has different spud for each bore size. I love mine I sight rifle in with it to get on paper then do fine adjustment to get exact ZERO . Now I put the bore sighter back in and make a record of ehere the scope hairs are on the grid. I store all rifle records in a box now I can remove scope and then reinstall and be within an inch or two . I take bore sighter and record with me on any long distance hunting trip Then I can check if I think it may have gotten damaged in travel or if I drop rifle ETC without having to shoot the gun.

+1...I've had mine since the early 80's and it works pretty good...bull