In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning WSSM value

JGR2018JGR2018 Member Posts: 186 ✭✭✭
edited January 2011 in Ask the Experts
OK so the WSSM line has been discontinued. Whats the value/worth of a Browning medallion 243 wssm new in box never assembled? Do we see a rise in value in a few years? A notation in the Blue Book like this model was made for 6 year and discontinued, add so many % for wssm calibers? What does the crystal ball predict?

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unfortunately, the WSSM stable was not as popular as they thought it would be. I do believe that Winchester is the only one making ammunition for them right now. I would be suprised to not see in the close future, the WSSM line of ammunition go away too. That said, I think it will be like the Remington line a few years ago with the electronic trigger, and primer system. The rifle's value will plummet, as there will be no ammo available.

I actually just sold my prized 25 WSSM Model 70 Ultimate Shadow. However, I do have a couple Stainless Stalker's of WSSM length, and bolt face size. One is a 223 WSSM, unfired, and the other was a 25 WSSM, which is now a 6.5 Heaton. I have a couple thousand rounds of 25 WSSM cases, and acquiring more, so I do have a supply that will last a long time.

So to answer your question, IMHO, the market will drop out on the rifles themselves, as factory ammo dries up. However, there will still be a following, as the cases are great for bullet diameter's 25 caliber and above.

Best
  • Options
    22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with tsr1965 that WSSM rifle values are likely to stay flat or drop over time as opposed to appreciating substantially. In addition to the points he makes my experience is that the WSSMs take a bit more than average care in terms of needing to keep them clean (especially the 223 WSSM) to get good accuracy. If I had one new in the box as an investment I would probably sell it now and put the money towards a Series 70 Colt or old Winchester. That said, I have a Browning Stainless Stalker in 223 WSSM and a Winchester 70 Coyote in 25 WSSM and intend to keep both. Like tsr1965 I'm increasing my stock of brass so to be sure to have ammo down the road. Of course I'm one of the folks that still has a Remington 700 ETRONX in 220 Swift and will stretch out the 1000 plus primers I have for a long time as there aren't likely to be any more. If you reload and like the 243 then I'd keep the gun, shoot it, and enjoy it. There are, I think, better investment vehicles.