In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

308 in MINI 30 ?????

putt-puttputt-putt Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited January 2011 in Ask the Experts
Can I fire 308 win. from my mini 30 7.62?
What is the differance between these two numbers?

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    NO WAY[B)]
    The Mini 30 takes 7.62X39 ammo.
    A 308 is 7.62X51. It should not chamber, and not let the bolt close all the way, or fit in the Mini mag.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Probably the confusing thing is that both rounds are .30 caliber. That is, the size of the bore measures .30".

But, the cartridges are completely different. .308 WIN is a high power round that is much larger than the mid-power 7.62 x 39 round. Plus, there are several other .30 caliber rounds that are different from either one of them.

Bottom line: You should only fire ammunition specifically intended for your gun; failure to stick to this can have lethal consequences.

You might find it helpful to subscribe to a couple of gun magazines. I read just about every article in the American Rifleman (sent to NRA members), & Guns & Ammo. Over the years, you will be exposed to a lot of information that will help you & make this hobby more fun for you.

Neal
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I remember correctly, Ruger's origional intention was to build a rifle of this type in .308 called the XGI. Too many problems and they dropped the project. (Bill was not the most patient man!) The .357 Maximun went that way, too. I wonder how many other things like the car, etc. got dropped.
  • Options
    45er45er Member Posts: 245 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Howdy putt, and welcome here your first postings,

Your (good!) questions have been answered. Best to ask than to step into the un-known, and that's what this site is about.

Off the top of the head, there are around ten or so currently made calibers that take the .308/7.62 bullet, of which none are readily interchangable. (Well, a couple maybe, though without controversy, at any rate. Such as the can of worms with the Winchester .308 vs 7.62x51 NATO?). So it can be confusing, yet not a completely dark subject.

Would like to add, +nmyers, that cartridge usage and identification is a study in itself for information. And quite enjoyable, too. My, (modest) library has five or six books just on that subject, not to mention another handful of reloading manuals. If interested, "Cartridges Of The World" by Frank Barnes is a good, inexpensive starting book. Last count I had some time ago, is he was up to Volume 6, so get the latest edition.

45er
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by putt-putt
    Can I fire 308 win. from my mini 30 7.62?
    What is the differance between these two numbers?

No.

7.62x39 (aka "Russian short 30") and .308 Winchester (which is usually what people mean when they say "308") are TOTALLY different calibers.

You won't even be able to fit a .308 into a mini-30 gun. . .the round itself is too long for that.

.308 is a *LOT* more powerful round, plus the rounds themselves are more expensive.
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are going to get into the shooting sports you might want to consider picking up a good used reloading manual. Recently replaced manuals can be had off of several auction sites for cheap. They will go a long ways to explaining the basic differences between the various cartridges and their calibers and give you a good basic background for the sport. Barnes, Nosler, Speer or Sieara would all be good choices.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    putt-putt,

A picture is still worth 1,000 words.

cartridgecomparison2.jpg

This represents a side-by-side comparison of several military/civilian cartridges for your attention. Please note that the two cartridges you ask about are very dissimilar is size and shape.

Best.