In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

scope or red dot for mini 14 ?

tommy45autostommy45autos Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
edited January 2011 in Ask the Experts
I have my first Ruger MINI 14, series 180 (first year of issue). The scope mount fits in the rear sight (weaver base).May use it for coyotes.Recommend 2.5 scope or red dot for these old eyes? Thankyou

Comments

• Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not clear on the question.
    Is it what BRAND optics to get?
    Or is it whether you should pick the scope or red dot?

2.5x scope is going to be real helpful in placing shots precisely if you intend to do so regularly at distances exceeding 50 or 75 yards, particularly against smaller game.

So if you think you may be hunting coyotes, I'd go with the scope. Burris, Nikon, and Leupold are the brand names that will give you a good quality scope but not totally break the bank. Stay away from NCSTAR, Barska, and the other low-end Chinese made scopes. You may get a good one, but you may not, and these tend to not be as durable as the better brands, nor will they hold a zero as well.

Kudos to you for recognizing that you don't need a real powerful scope to get the job done. Less is more. . .fixed low magnification scope will give you the widest field of view and let you get your shot on target fastest.

For any sort of short range shooting (ie plinking, defensive), red dot has the advantage. Reticle (dot) is illuminated and easy to pick out against any background and in any light conditions. Eye relief is non-critical. . .you can mount the scope anywhere. Lastly, its a lot easier to shoot with both eyes open using a dot (no magnification) optic. So if you know you're NOT going to be taking many (or any) shots past 75 yards, go for the red dot.
  • Options
    tommy45autostommy45autos Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thankyou beantownshootah. I spent time with the US Coast Guard in Beantown. What make and model reasonably priced red dot would you
    recommend.My shots will not be over 100 yds. Thankyou
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 4X Burris Timberline on one of mine, very compact and forgiving eye relief. Timberline is their entry level line and a factory refurbish from Natchez they're well under $100.00. Swift also makes a nice 1.5 to 5X - straight tube, clear optics.