In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

old gun - need some info

hbrokerhbroker Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited January 2011 in Ask the Experts
double 12ga. - american gun company serial 331381. anyone help me figure out value or rare?

Comments

• hbrokerhbroker Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hate to ask, but a friend ask me if this gun was worth anything. said I would look, but can't seem to find right area for info.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    "American Gun Company" was a trade-name shotgun used by H & D Folsom of New York City. The H&D Folsom Arms Co was a large distributor of both double and single barrel shotguns that were produced by Crescent Firearms Co. of Norwich, Connecticut.

Folsom owned and later sold to Savage Arms Co. the Crescent Firearms Co. Davis-Warner Co. and Baker Gun Co. around 1930.

Value can range from $10 for a rusty wallhanger to $250 for a mint version.
  • hbrokerhbroker Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info- big help for me.
  • Ned FallNed Fall Member Posts: 662
    edited November -1
    Spider has it almost correct. The gun is what is commonly referred to as a "Trade Brand Name" shotgun. That is a shotgun made by a major maker (and before 1940) for and was sold by a wholesaler or retailer who chose the name to go on the gun. Shotguns with the name AMERICAN GUN CO were made by the Crescent Fire Arms Company of Norwich,CT (1892 to 1931) for and were sold by the Supplee Biddle Hardware company of Philadelphia,PA. If the name is AMERICAN GUN COMPANY (Company spelled out in full) the gun was made for and sold by Sears Roebuck & Co of Chicago,IL. H & D Folsom of New York City did own Crescent but Folsom did not make guns, Crescent did. They were a very large wholesale and retail sporting good dealer. Since Folsom owned Crescent, Crescent would make whatever Folsom wanted and what they wanted was a lot of inexpensive (cheap) shotguns fast. Since your gun by the serial number you gave was made in 1915, it was not designed for modern 3 inch or magnum shells loaded with high pressure smokeless powder and steel shot. While it may be still fired if in good condition and using appropriate ammunition I still recommend that it be checked out by a good gunsmith before you attempt to shoot it.