In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Unknown powder?

recon5recon5 Member Posts: 199 ✭✭
edited February 2011 in Ask the Experts
I have a 1 gallon can full of gun powder, no markings on the can except a taped on paper saying IMR 3031? How do I go about finding a way to know for sure what type is in the can? Is there some place to send a sample? "O" what to do? I need HELP! Any thought's out there besides burning it up on a deserted stretch of highway.

Comments

• Options
    utbrowningmanutbrowningman Member Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With a handmade label, I would never trust it.
  • Options
    gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not worth the risk.

Use it as fertilizer, which powder is excellent for (not kidding).
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Load up some with 3031 data, put in a gun you are willing to risk, and pull the trigger with a string from a good distance. Preferably from behind a cement wall or dirt embankment.

Examine fired case for pressure signs.

Should be an extruded stick powder if 3031.

Probably not worth it for just 1 gallon. I can't think of a gun I'd be willing to blow up possibly for that.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk

I can't think of a gun I'd be willing to blow up ...
    Or face, hands, etc.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    A couple of pounds of unknown powder are not worth risking life and limb so I'd just forget all about it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'll say it again. Best use at this point for powder X is fertilizer.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have to go with the "fertilizer" suggestion. If, however, you opt for the sacrificial rifle option I'd suggest two additional precautions.
    1. Find a certified can of 3031 and closely examine samples of each to see if they look the same, and,
    2. Examine the entire lot for any sign of mixed powders. If this container had become someone's "odd powder disposal" you could have a layer of 3031 on top of Bullseye. Ouch.
    Again, best to dispose of, but if you must, be extremely careful. I have scars on my knuckles and forearm from a well intentioned attempt to destroy a pile of unknown powder back in the '50's. As fertilizer, be sure to mix it well with your garden soil or spread like seed on the lawn. Simply dumping the pile could be a problem.[:D]