In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

help remington 740 extractor

sportsmensshopsportsmensshop Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
edited February 2011 in Ask the Experts
I have replaced a broken extractor in a 740 (rivit type) twice with two diffenent ext's and can not get it to work. Put it back together put a round in the chamber and the bolt will not close completely. Try to slam it and although it closes further it now jamed. Force it open and a mark on the rim of the brass where the ext. should grab it. Is there something I am doing wrong or does the new one need to be ground slightly. I afraid to try that for if that does not work the new ext. is junk. Just paid 25.00 for new and 5.00 for rivit. Please help...

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    THESE HAVE TO BE 'ADJUSTED' TO WORK PROPERLY (BENT TO THE PROPER CURVE). PUT THE NEW EXTRACTOR INSIDE THE BOLT CUT-OUT AND POSITION PROPERLY, KEEP REBENDING UNTILL THE EXRACTOR RIM IN INSIDE THE CUT-OUT FOR IT BUT THE 'HOOK' OF THE EXTRACTOR PROTRUDES PAST THIS RIM. BE CARFULL BENTING AS THEY ARE HARDENED STEEL AND CAN BREAK.
  • Options
    sportsmensshopsportsmensshop Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for the advice but the ext. I was replacing was on a Sportsmen 74 made by remington (Assuned it was same as 740) but wasnt aware the extractor is different. Did some compairing with a 740 bolt and made my discovery. I guess I should never assume. Thanks again
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    yup, the 740 uses a reveted extractor, the 74 is a 'snap-in'