In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

And, another ammo question

oakridgeoakridge Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
edited February 2011 in Ask the Experts
Do you guys that shoot a lot ever use corrosive ammo? And, just clean your guns good after each use? I have several hundred rounds of 9mm Luger ammo that I bought over 20 years ago because it was really cheap. Boxes say "Interarms, Alexandria, Virgina". Side of box has a caution about cleaning after each use, and "Made in Czechoslovakia". What would you do with it?

Comments

• utbrowningmanutbrowningman Member Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shoot then clean. That is what I do with my Mosin Nagant. How much ammo has been used by various militaries that has been corrosive? A lot. Clean it soon after shooting and you'll be fine.
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've shot quite a bit of milsurp 7.62 x 39 in the AK, Saiga, and SKS without issue. A quick spray/wipe-down with Windex (ammonia) after shooting and before cleaning neutralizes the salts.

Used to shoot corrosive milsurp in a couple of the Garands, but I believe I used it all up. Same cleaning regimen, no damage to the rifles.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/corrosive/index.asp
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Use HOT water and a little dish soap. Water dissolves the corrosive primer residue (potassium chlorate).

Some favor windex or USGI WW2 vintage cleaner which also work, but only because they have water in them.

Then dry and clean as normal. Squirt some WD 40 in to any holes to make sure all water is displaced.

You can also dip parts in boiling water. Let them get to temp and pull out. Flash dries.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Hot soapy water, which is basically free, or the old water based USGI bore cleaner (which is getting harder to find every year) will work just fine. I like the water boiling hot because the high heat makes it dry quickly on the metal, but cold water works fine it it is all you have.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Consider, if you would, that ALL ammo used in small arms in WW I and WW II, with the exception of M1 Carbine, was, I do believe, corrosive primed. I shoot a ton of 7.62x54, 7.62x39, and 8mm Mauser that is corrosive. Rifle goes in the vise, muzzle tilted down over a bucket, funnel in chamber, pint of very hot water, coupla drops of Dawn dish detergent on bore brush, followed by another pint of hot water, wipe off the bolt- and the barrel dries itself from heat. Let it set 10 minutes, oiled patch thru bore, done.