In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Light weight .22 ?

servant2servant2 Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
I need a light weight .22 to * hunt with. Presently, I have a Remington Model 597 and I hate it; the rear sight is a joke (and it's not a funny one). I've been thinking about buying a Marlin 995SS or a older Remington nylon 66. What is your opinion about these guns and is there any other suggestions.

Thank You

Comments

• Options
    servant2servant2 Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I need a light weight .22 to * hunt with. Presently, I have a Remington Model 597 and I hate it; the rear sight is a joke (and it's not a funny one). I've been thinking about buying a Marlin 995SS or a older Remington nylon 66. What is your opinion about these guns and is there any other suggestions.

Thank You
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Marlin mdl 60, carbine, semi auto, accurate, dependable,, get a used one for around 50 60 dollars

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows"

new-year.gif
  • Options
    purebreedrebelpurebreedrebel Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    CZ makes a new 22 bolt action that is pretty light but the nylons are a lot lighter but i have found they do not work well with a scope on them. I would have to agree with classic095 about the marlin.
  • Options
    queeksdrawqueeksdraw Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine uses a Smith 422 with a lazer site, carrys it in his pocket from tree to tree. And that little light realy lights up the eyes.Good luck.

You'v gota kill it to grill it
  • Options
    sharkman8810sharkman8810 Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    cz 452's come in a couple different makes, and some of them are 11mm, and standard rings dont work, use cz rings or an adapter. I have a cz silhouette and it is a very good shooter. look at www.cz-usa.com for info.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 422 smith is a great lightweight sidearm. I am not good enough shot with mine (or it's 622 cousin) to cleanly kill a * without messing up the hides on a regular basis.[V]
    I'd sure think about a 10/22 ruger. They are lightweight, rugged, and reliable. They even make carbon-fiber bull barrels for them that make them shorter, lighter, and more accurate. I don't know of any of the carbon fiber barrels that will accept open sights however.
    Stay away from the AR-7's...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    TeamblueTeamblue Member Posts: 782 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are right on the money with the Nylon 66. Light weight and fast handling combined with superior durability and 14 +1 capacity. I don't know of any other rifle that can offer all this. My 1967 Nylon 66 MB is one of my prized possessions. And it is quite accurate too. Do yourself a favor and get one.

Teamblue

Justice through Valor 1*
  • Options
    grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your any good with a pistol, I use an H&R 900 .22 revolver on my trapline. I took an 18lb. * out of a guy's tree stand while it was taking a nap one morning while running my line. It's an accurate gun, and holstered, it leaves your hands free to do other things. They are pretty low priced, and readily avalible.

Thanks, Grizztribefans@sssnet.com
  • Options
    airborneairborne Member Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger 10/22 nylon stock

B - BreatheR - RelaxA - AimS - SightS - Squeeze
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are we talkin' rifles here? I've never gone * hunting, so I don't know. But if it is a light weight rifle you want, the Winchester model 9422 is tops!

Ken
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want a great trusty old .22 pistol, I'd go with an older High Standard HD. They shoot forever! Well, almost forever.[:D]

Ken
  • Options
    270 Deer Slayer270 Deer Slayer Member Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The remington fieldmaster is a pump .22lr. It is very light and you can easily pump shells out very fast, but some people I know that have them say they are not too accurate.

"If it's brown, it's down" deer2.gif