In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester Model 1897 question

OKgunnerOKgunner Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited June 2005 in Ask the Experts
I have a model 97 that my father-in-law owned before he passed away and it appears to be in good condition, but it has two different serial numbers on it. The receiver has a serial number from 1946 on it and the barrel section has a 1918 serial number. Will this hurt its value and what might it be worth?

OKgunner

Comments

• Options
    only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Okgunner: Well unfortuneately, at best you got a good shooter. When the "numbers" don't match, any collector value is out the window. Without out knowing anything about the gun, (barrel length, choke, condition etc, etc) A minimum of around $200. maybe more if there is something special about either half. The most value of this gun would be in parts. Ie: stocks, barrel, mag tube assy. receiver components.

Regards Dave
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    The winchester is a much liked gun both buy shooters "cowboy action shooters " hunters and collectors . With the mismatched numbers you are lucky and have a shotgun you can shoot and enjoy. Collectors want a gun with matching serial and with as much orginal finish as possible. In the future You will need to have many more details if you want a value on a gun that might be "COLLECTABLE" . It would take pages of verbage to get the same Idea of value as one PICTURE. As a shooter in good condition my WAG is somewhere on both sides of $400.00
  • Options
    OKgunnerOKgunner Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info, guys. That gives me a pretty good idea of what I have.

OKgunner