In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S&W 629

Hang-Fire1Hang-Fire1 Member Posts: 137 ✭✭✭
edited June 2005 in Ask the Experts
I recently acqired a 629 Classic which had no markings on it except the serial number, i.e., all the stamped or rolled markings had been polished off to a very shiny finish. I recall reading a few years back an article in one of the major gun magazines about two 629's that were done this way. Mine has an 002 scribed under the crane. Does anyone remember reading that article and where I might could get a copy?

Comments

• Hang-Fire1Hang-Fire1 Member Posts: 137 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Today I saw a S&W 629 at a gun shop today. It was stainless, 8 3/8" bbl., wood grip. It looked practically new, 98% I'd say. It was used put the only evidence of that was a dirty bore & cylinder. The guy wanted $340 for it. Good deal?

-Marcus

***When the Second Amendment falls, the First will be sure to follow.***
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know anything about the S&W 629 in .44 mag, stainless, advertised in the latest Shotgun News for $430[?]
    edited November -1
    What is meant by recessed cylinder pinned barrel? I've seen this referred to several times about older model 29's and newer 629's.

Liberty Bells Life Member
    http://www.libertybelles.org
  • GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When a Smith and Wesson is referred to as pinned and recessed, there is a small metal pin that goes thru the top of the frame and barrel at the junction of the 2 of them. It is designed to keep the barrel from backing out of the frame. (pinned) The cylinder on some of the older guns were counter-bored so that the head of the cartridge sits down inside the counterbored area,(recessed) on newer ones, the rim of the cartridge just rests on the rear of the cylinder. Some guns were pinned but not recessed and now S&W uses a thread that is slightly oversize and kind of "crush fits" the barrel to prevent barrel loosening-Kind of like a locknut thread. Good luck!
  • 2xbyu2xbyu Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's a recessed cylinder from a 629. Gunbroker auction # 34062586.

302025.jpg