In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

model 88 winchester

cn1732cn1732 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
edited June 2005 in Ask the Experts
I am going to rechamber and rebarrel a .308 winchester model 88 to .358 winchester either 18 or 20 inch barrel for use as a brush gun in thick cover while bear hunting with dogs in eastern N.C. Have several questions for guys familiar with .358 (also have ability to reload). I have been using .35 rem in 336 marlin but want to try something a little different.(Now have 2 grandsons so can't give .35 to both when time comes.) Am sold on.35 caliber. Would 18 inch barrel limit this cartridge. Does anyone suggest a company for rechamber and rebarrel work? Need high vis sights installed because of extremely thick (crawling)woods. Have killed 8 to 10 bears well over 600 lbs. (Reason to go to .358 over .35 Things happen very fast)!!! I know I can buy a blr cheaper but like 88.

Comments

• Options
    cn1732cn1732 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heres the question I have 2 pre 64 model 88 .308 cal. I shoot a 150 winchester factory load around 2846 fps for deer 1" high at 100 yards. I use this for fall turkey in Pa I shoot a 150 grain flat nose 30/30 bullet at about 2109 fps this load was designed by some one years ago in the nwtf but it used hercules powder the load i cant tell you with out looking it up this bullet shoot dead on at 100 yards. this gun has been sighted in for 35 years the same way it was my dad's he now uses the one her purchased for me when i was 12. I need to load some more turkey loads and cant find a load using a powder that is availble today can some one give me a few ideas i have load data books but nothing close to 2109 fps. I need to have them the same this helps not having to adjust my zero between season's any ideas or input greatly apperciated thanks in advance.

When in dout double check your target.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cn1732,

The .358 Win. can be loaded efficiently when you set your mind to finding a good load for the bullet(s) that will work for your hunting. Heavier bullets like the 225's or 250's with faster burning powder should take care of the problem. Even the 275's from North Fork would work nicely. It should be a good combination for bears or anything else that walks or crawls on this continent in close quarters.

One thing that you might look into, especially for this rifle, would be to get the rifle barrel re-bored from .308 up to .358 diameter. This is a very viable process for rifles such as this and the Model 100's as well as a host of others. It has always been popular but it's gaining in popularity even more rapidly as the price of new barrels and installation rises.

www.cutrifle.com

Best of luck!
  • Options
    jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the 88 also, but it might be cheaper to get a 444 Marlin.

J. Patrick Tatum