In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

2.7mm colibri?

hksrulehksrule Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
edited June 2005 in Ask the Experts
I was reading a little ad in Guns and Ammo about a company that provides ammo for obsolete weapons or rare ones and it mentioned the 2.7mm colibri. What gun is that and are there pictures?

Anybody comes through that door, you put two in the chest and one in the head!

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    hksrulehksrule Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Rufe-snow for the pic. Does anybody have any info on who used them or what time frame they were used? How effective could a 2.7mm projectile be?

Anybody comes through that door, you put two in the chest and one in the head!
  • Options
    robkelly2242robkelly2242 Member Posts: 295 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never shot a Colibri, but I built a single shot some time ago which fired a #6 shot. From 6" away, it would penetrate up to about page 80 of a paperback book. The Colibri is Austrian I think from the 1920s. The first time I saw an ad for them was in an Abel catalog (Chicago ?) in the 1950s. They were a curio even then.
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    The 2.7mm Colibri was used as a "gallery" round for plinking. It was fairly popular in Europe before WWII. There was also a 3mm Colibri if I remember correctly. Penetration was in the 0.5-1.5" of pine so although not "effective" as a weapon, it is still very dangerous. 5.3gr bullet with about 1.5gr of powder

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi,

The 2.7 Kolibri is the smallest commercially manufactured centerfire pistol cartridge. It was used in the Kolibri semi-auto pistol (also a midget) introducted in 1914. There was also a single shot parlor-type pistol chambered it. The pistol is of conventional blowback design. The pistol was also manufactured in 3 mm Kolibri as well and these are probably rarer than the 2.7 mm. Both pistol and cartridge have been obsolete for many years and both are collector's items.

The cartridge that is fired in this pistol is tiny ! You really have to see one to put how small it is into context. 2.7 mm is about 0.105 inches diameter and the cartridge is no more than about 0.5 inches. Collectors keep them in larger tubes so they will not be lost.

The actual ballistics for these are unknown, but have been estimated to be about 650 fps velocity and about 3 ft-lb of energy. The literature says the bullet could penetrate about 1.5 inches of pine. So while not necessarily fatal if shot, it could ruin your day. you can't hunt anything with this outfit except a palmetto bug.

I have one 2.7mm Kolibri cartridge in my collection. They are hard as hell to find and are very costly. I got mine several years ago at an auction and paid more than the going rate in order to get my hands on one. I think that they are now probably about $70.00 to $90.00 for a single cartridge if you can find one!

bullitt_county_4199_small.jpg
    "If I don't see you nomore on this world, I'll meet you on the next one, and don't be late!" - Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    Dean CascioDean Cascio Member Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I may be wrong but I think some one in West Germany made a small run (Literally) of pistols and ammo back in the 1950's
    Dean

quote:Originally posted by heavyiron
    Hi,

The 2.7 Kolibri is the smallest commercially manufactured centerfire pistol cartridge. It was used in the Kolibri semi-auto pistol (also a midget) introducted in 1914.

If they don't trust us with guns, how can we trust them with the government?
  • Options
    chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm pretty sure "Kolibri" translates as "hummingbird".

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    ~Sinclair Lewis, It Can't Happen Here

"Our enemies...never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
    ~President George W. Bush
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only addition I would make to heavyiron's excellent post is that in my experience it is easier to obtain the 3mm than the 2.7mm Kolibri round. There is another neat little semi-auto round out there, slightly more common, known as the 4.25 Lilliput . . . and that is certainly accurate / evocative. My specimens of 2mm pinfire / 3mm Kolibri / 4.25 Lilliput are all in one tiny little plastic box . . . with LOTS of room to spare! [:D]

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the french." (Mark Twain)
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wasn't sure if I could find anything to add to this discussion but low and behold, the files of little know bits of information came through.

2.7 Kolibri

This is a machine translation from a Spanish ammunition website:

2.7x9 mm Kolibri / 2mm Kolibri / 3mm Kolibri / 2.7mm Colibri /2.7 mm Kolibri Car Pistol / 2.7 Kolibri Selbstlade Pistole / 2.7x9 Kolibri Car 1913

The Austrian one Franz Pfannl is born in 1867 in the small town of "Stein". Dies in "Krems au Donau" in 1961. It was an expert watchmaker, profession that learned of its father. Began with the production of weapons around 1897/8. Franz Pfannl designed and manufactured all its production mechanizing the weapons he himself. Georg Grabner was a friend of Pfannl and financial associate in the business in the sale of the weapons. Though he appears like the designer of the Kolibri 2.7mm, in reality was own design of Pfannl. To the first world War produced small guns Berloque in different sizes, a type of revolver Berloque (of the one that itself there is enccontrado no copy) and a Rifle with bayonet. After 1914 it produced the gun Kolibri (Hummingbird) in the caliber 2.7 mm Center Fire and al to finish the first world War produced also the gun Erika in the caliber 4.25 mm Center Fire. In the middle of the twenties, manufactures different guns Kolibri in the caliber 3 mm Center Fire. It finalized this production at the beginning of the thirty. Then it produced small guns until World War Two in the caliber of 2 mm RF, 4 mm RF and 6 mm RF (RF = Flobert).

Cartridge 2.7 Kolibri among a. 22 Short (Izda.), and. 22 LR and 9mm Parabellum (Dcha.)FOTO: KOKO The design for the Kolibri 2.7mm itself patent? in 1910. The 2.7mm was produced in two lengths of tube, and to weigh approximately 220 completely loaded grams. It had a drum for five cartridges and the soul of the tube was smooth due to the costly thing and dificil to border a tube of so tiny caliber. These they were announced originally as a defense car weapon, nevertheless the bullet of 3 grams of weight produced only about 2 pounds by foot of energy in mouth of the tube, and alone would have been shown decisive against a cockroach maddened, but not a lot more. The bullet of the 3 mm round a weight around 5.3 grains (Eye, Grains, not grams). The Gun of the caliber 3mm was of a similar size and was designed by Pfannl at the beginning of the twenties. It was a crossing between the Erika and the Kolibri 2.7mm, with a profitable and simpler design, until 1928 was not manufactured really, but due to changes in the popularity of the short weapons in Austria its production was limited, only three models of this production they are known and none of them has been found in its original container. To this cartridge, the honor to be fits him the smallest one of central fire.

http://www.municion.org/Kolibri/2_7X9.htm

302127.jpg

302129.jpg

302134.gif

Kolibri & Kobold, Austrian Miniature Firearms

Kolibri, German for hummingbird. Kobold, German for Goblin or Elf.

Franz Pfannl was born in 1867 in the little town of "Stein"(stone) on the Danube. He died in "Krems au Donau" in 1961. He was a trained watchmaker and he learned the profession from his father. He started with weapon production around 1897/8. Franz Pfannl designed and produced all his production machines and weapons itself. Georg Grabner, has been credited with the design of the Kolibri 2.7mm Semi Autowas his friend, financier and business partner in the sale of the weapons, he was never a designer, The Kolibri 2.7mm was Pfannl's own design. Up to the first World War he produced Berloque little pistols in different sizes, a Berloque revolver (Not seen yet) and a Rifle with bayonet.
    After 1914 he produced the Kolibri (hummingbird) pistol in the caliber of 2.7 mm cf. After the first World War he also produced the Erika pistol in the caliber of 4.25 mm cf. Middle of the twenties, further different Kolibri pistols in the caliber of 3 mm cf. He ended this production at the beginning of the thirties. He then produced also little pistols up to the second World War in the caliber of 2 mm rf, 4 mm rf and 6 mm Flobert rf.

The design for the Kolibri 2.7mm had been Patented in 1910, under patent No AT 45314 ( to view patent go to Patents 9 page).

They now fetch large prices at Auctions with good examples fetching over $ 5000. The 2.7mm was produced in two barrel lengths, 1 3/8ths and 1 3/16ths and weighed approximately 220 grammes fully loaded. A Five shot magazine went into the butt. The barrel was smooth bored due to the expense and difficulty of rifling such a tiny caliber. These were originally advertised as a self defence weapon, however the 3 grain bullet produced only about 2 foot pounds of muzzle energy, and would have proved decisive against an enraged cockroach, but not much else. The 3mm round weighed around 5.3 grains. The 3mm Pistol which was about the same size was designed by Pfannl in the early 1920's. This was a cross between the Erika and the Kolibri 2.7mm, a simpler design and more cost effective, it took until 1928 before actual production took place, but due to changes in the popularity of firearms in Austria production was severly limited, only 3 examples of the production model are known and no boxed examples have been found.

The Vulcan .25 acp pistol (circa 1938) was not produced by Pfannl, he only sold them. Franz Pfannl had to discontinue the production after the "Anschluss (contact)" (occupation) soon in 1938, since he exported his weapons mainly, The Germans would never have allowed that.

Kolibri 2.7 & 3mm Semi Auto Pistols

4 examples are shown in various states, please note that these guns will require a Firearms License or Certificate in many Countries.

Also note the size comparisons of the Ammunition v a 45 auto in top center photo and the magazine against that of a Colt 45 in the bottom right photo.

All examples Circa 1914 to 1930

The Kobold range was produced by Franz Pfannl,they were made exclusively for Albrecht Kind in Germany, (they hold the rights to the name Kobold) Albrecht Kind was the sole distributor, they exported them to the rest of Europe, the UK and USA. Albrecht Kind also produced the G4 model in Germany under license from Pfannl. Albrecht Kind is also the producer of the current 2mm Penvuur (Pinfire) cartridge - PTB 222
    Above

This Kobold is marked DRGM, a designation usually used for items made in Germany, Therefore I cannot attribute a origin to this with any certainty. It is on this page due to the gun on the Right. Although the picture states it is a 2mm Rimfire, the pistol is, according to Cyrus Kemp, a unisex, it is actually a underhammer 2mm Pinfire and normal Rimfire, The hammer designed in such a way as to make it capable of firing either cartridge. See Germany 2 for more pictures.
    Franz Pfannl was also the original designer of the 2mm Pinfire Berloque and patented the design on the 24th July 1899, it was finally published as a Swiss Patent No 19789 in 1900. To view this patent please go to the Patents 6 page.

Of the smaller 2mm Rimfire pistols and revolvers, little is known. Production seems to be limited in Austria from the early 1920's to late 1930's with ownership possibly switching under the German Occupation of WW2 and continued by the German's up to the late 1950's. Construction is of a very high standard and models were highly varied.

The Kobold range produced by Franz Pfannl were made exclusively for Albrecht Kind in Germany, (they hold the rights to the name Kobold) Albrecht Kind was the sole distributor, they exported them to the rest of Europe, the UK and USA. Albrecht Kind produced the G4 model in Germany under license from Pfannl.
    The Kolibri range was Franz Pfannl's own range with the license held by his business partner, Georg Grabner.

Today, the Building which was the gun factory still exists. When the building was renovated nearly everything available was sold to a scrap metal dealer. Some parts were also sold to Heinz and also parts of the written documentation pertaining to the Factory and it's production, for his Archival work. Heinz thinks, however, that, in the 1960's, the largest portion of the machines and the materials was sold to a company which were then also produced the Berloques in Lower Austria.

http://www.homestead.com/Pinfire/Austria3.html

There are an incredible number of pictures on this site, so stop over there and see what's available.

I think that's enough for now.

Best.
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This has been a very interesting topic for me. I have learned much more about the history of Kolibri pistols and cartridges than I ever knew before. That is why this is such a great forum.

This is just a post script note to expound on two of the above comments: The "4.25 Liliput" that Iconoclast mentions is also known by the moniker "4.25 Erika" which is the same pistol and cartridge referred to by Nononsense as "the Erika pistol in the caliber of 4.25 mm cf".

Regards,

Heavyiron

bullitt_county_4199_small.jpg
    "If I don't see you nomore on this world, I'll meet you on the next one, and don't be late!" - Jimi Hendrix