In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

COWBOY ACTION

BamavolBamavol Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2005 in Ask the Experts
Is the 44 cap&ball revolver carbine legal for cowboy action? If so is it any good. I am interested in going black powder all the way except for the coach gun. Also what C&B revolver hand gun works best?

Bamavol

Comments

• ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is probably legal but since most stages are either 9 or 10 rounds,sometimes more,you'd be at a great disadvantage using one.
    You'll be missing half the fun if you don't go bp in the coach gun.Fireballs and a huge KABOOM!! with every shot.:)

Throckmorton SASS #23149
  • forthhorsemanforthhorseman Member Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you talking about using the carbine as your rifle? If so, I don't believe it would be allowed because I believe the rules say the rifle must be either a lever action or pump action with exposed hammer and must be tube fed and be in a hand gun caliber of .25-20 centerfire or larger. While a C&B revolver carbine like the Uberti Remington .44 C&B carbine would qualify as a hand gun caliber, it obviously isn't a lever or pump action and doesn't have a tube magazine. If you're talking about using the carbine as your hand gun, here again I don't think it would qualify because it wouldn't be considered a hand gun. In any case, you have to have two hand guns and in the Frontiersman class you have to have two C&B pistols of .36 caliber or larger and you have to shoot in the Duelist style one handed. BP cartridges can be used in cartridge revolvers and in the rifles and BP shot gun shells can be used in your shot gun, in the Frontier Cartridge class. The C&B revolver carbine might be allowed in one of the side match competitions but I'm not sure about that. Go on the SASS website and check out the SASS shooters manual for the exact rules.

As far as the available guns go, all of the Ubertis are great guns of great quality and strength. I don't know much about the Pietta C&B revolvers but the ones I've seen don't look to be as good as the Ubertis. The Ruger Old Army C&B revolver is good. I love my .36 caliber Uberti 1851 Colt Navy and my .44 caliber Uberti 1860 Colt Army C&B revolvers, although I myself wouldn't use them for CAS. I use to own an Uberti 1858 Remington Army .44 C&B revolver and while I find the Colts to be a little more elegant looking and easier handling, the Remington was certainly stonger due to it's solid frame design.