In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

'03 Springfield heat treat ???

Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
edited July 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have come across a "deal" on a really crappy sporterized Springfield, and I am hoping one of you can tell me if it is one with the proper heat-treat receiver??

Serial Number is: 606616786.

Thank you for your help.

Doug

Comments

• countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    Doug, recheck that serial number, I don't think they made 606 million of those.....I wish [;)]
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    You need to look at the serial number again Doug because there are no nine digit Springfields. 606,616,786 is simply not a valid number.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check that serial number. No maker produced over 6,000,000.
    Who is the maker?
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Generally speaking any serial number for a Springfield below 800,000 is considered to be suspect and any below #286,506 made at Rock Island Arsenal are known to have not been heat treated properly.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only maker that produced Springfields in the 6,000,000 range was National Ordnance in the mid 60's. They were parts guns built up with ex G.I. parts and investment cast receivers made in either Japan or Spain. I don't remember at this late date, which one it was?

Never owned one, but I had understood that they had problems with the first batch in the 6,000,000 range, and subsequently either changed manufacturers or material for the receivers.

If the rifle your inquiring about is one of these National Ordnance parts guns, I would pass on it.