In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

BUSHMASTER PROBLEMS!! please help?

0sonic00sonic0 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited July 2009 in Ask the Experts
HI, QUICK QUESTION OR TWO FOR ANY BUSHMASTER OWNERS OR EXPERTS.. MY M4 HAS A PROBLEM. WHEN I TRY TO COCK THE BULLIT GOES ALMOST INTO THE BARRELL BUT MOST TIME GETS STUCK ABOUT 80% THE WAY OUT OF THE MAG, IS THIS COMMON? ALSO BECUASE OF THIS I JUST KEEP ONE IN THE CHAMBER WITH THE SAFTY ON WITH THIS HURT THE GUN? I ONLY DO THIS BECUASE IM AFFRAID THAT IF I NEEDED TO USE IT FOR HOME PROTECTION I WOULD HAVE TO COCK "PULL IT BACK TWICE" TO GET THE BULLIT READY FOR AUCTION.. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT! IM NEW TO GUNBROKER! THANKS ALL

Comments

• Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    Have you tried different mags? I have a bad mag that causes similar issues in one of my rifles.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How much has this gun been fired?
    Does it happen with all magazines?
    Are you using FMJ ammo?
    Remove the bolt from the carrier and orient the ring gaps 180 degrees apart.
  • Options
    0sonic00sonic0 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi, thanks for the reply guys... happens with all mags bushmstr and aftermarkt. it has aprox 500rounds through. good fmj used, usually its rem. no wolf or Lake city used, i will have to try the bolt. When the gun warms up this problem stops? thanks for the advice friends.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    you are letting the bolt shoot forward without riding it ..pull the charging handle back and let it go forward
  • Options
    shooter10shooter10 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When these guns are new they need to be completely broke down and well oiled including the buffer and spring. I can almost assure you if you have not done this it i a least part of the problem. Get a good oil and use is freely. These guns better "wet". Change to a Magpul magazine and if you sitll have problem, then you nedd to take tit to a pro. If the gun is clean and operating as it is supposed to you should never have to pull it back twice.
  • Options
    jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make sure you do not have the front end of an empty cartridge case in the chamber.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fordsix
    you are letting the bolt shoot forward without riding it ..pull the charging handle back and let it go forward

+1
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree on not to baby the charging process. That bolt is not being babied when firing. Does it do this with subsequently fired shots? If not, then that is your problem. If it does, then it sounds like you have rough feed ramps. Nothing a Dremel, and the proper sized polishing tool cant fix.

BTW, welcome to the forums here on Gunbroker. We would like a response on what fixed your problem.

Best
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another suggestion....

besides pulling the charging handle to the rear and letting it go....instead of "riding" it

how you are holding the rifle could be effecting it, if you are holding it by the mag well instead of front handguard you could be torquing the mag to the rear and changing the feed angle...so be aware fo that
  • Options
    dbain99dbain99 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another vote for ridding the charging handle.
    The gun has 500 rounds through it if they would all have been loaded as singles I hope he would have stated that. It appears follow up shots arent the trouble so Id put my money on the operator.

0sonic0, do you have the same problem after the bolt locks back, a fresh mag is inserted and you drop the bolt catch?