In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Civil War CS leather canteen or flask

aaronrsaaronrs Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
edited July 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a Selma Arsenal stamped canteen or powder flask in the 7 inch "drum" style. It has CS stamped in large 1 inch letters in the middle of the side. The spout is metal and the rest of the flask is covered in heavy leather tightly tacked in place both axial and radial (no wood shows, just the metal spout). Being tacked this tells me the internal frame is wood. Squeezing the sides proves the wood side center is hollowed. There is a heavy leather strap roughly 40 inches long that is attached to the flask via a leather loop that is likewise tacked to the frame. Is this a powder flask for say cannons? If so, I thought they used fuses. Or is it a canteen that simply needs to be kept wet in order not to leak?

Comments

• FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a Canteen to me. I'm sure there are websites that focus on Civil War collectibles where you could find more/better info.
    If Antiques Roadshow is any indicator, most any original Confederate relic is worth a pretty penny.
    Would like to see pics if possible.