In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt Police Positive 38 cal.

wcwiremanwcwireman Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
edited July 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a Colt 38 cal. Police Positive Pistol, serial #84117, patented August 5, 1884-June 5, 1900-July 4, 1905. Gun is a minimum of 50-60%. Can anyone please tell me a rough value of the gun? I have a picture but cannot put it on here. Is there a simple way of adding a picture? Also, I would like to know does this shoot rimfire 38's or center fire? Any help at all would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Call Colt Customer Service, give them the Serial Number and for free, they will tell you the year it was born.

W/o a pic hard to say..price now, due to the economy the price of ALL Colts is depressed, not the value but price you can sell it for.
    A pure * guess would be $275-$400...need a pic...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There were actually two different Police Positives caliber wise, back in the early days, 90 years ago. .38 Special and .38 Smith Wesson. They were numbered in separate series. If your revolver is just marked "Police Positive" and not "Police Positive Special" it's chambered for the .38 Smith & Wesson Cartridge. This cartridge is pretty much obsolete, hard to find and expensive to buy.

If your revolver is chambered for .38 S & W and is "50-60%", my WAG is that it would be in the $100-$150 range.
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Paul, Your gun was made in 1916 and is likely chambered for .38 S&W "Centerfire" ammo. With 50% to 60% finish remaining I would agree with rufe as to the value of about $150 plus or minus $50.