In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

nu finish polish on nickle plated handguns

rp85rp85 Member Posts: 360 ✭✭✭
edited April 2010 in Ask the Experts
hello;

is nu finish polish on nickle plated handguns o.k.????? flitz does good on nickle plated hundguns, but don't know if nu finish polish would be to hard on the nickle finish. thanks for any input.

rp

Comments

• Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ANY polish is hard on a plated finish. All polishes are abrasive-even if they say they aren't.
    Nickel plated guns should not be polished more than once or twice, if at all. The plating is thin, and it's easy to polish right through it.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yup

I have bought a couple of guns cheap because they had been polished through the nickel until the copper strike showed. I sold one too cheap, plan to get the other one refinished.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I knew a gun shop that sent their sharper topbreaks to a Florida plater
    who did a great nickeling job without rounding edges, corners or dishing out holes.
    These undesirable revolvers became desirable and sold very fast; well above their value.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The guys make a lot of sense. Nickel doesn't oxidize, that is, it doesn't combine with oxygen, so there is never a need to remove oxidation from the surface. Gunk like dried oil or grease can be easily removed with mild solvent, & occasional wiping with gun oil will prevent rust & corrosion.

swm10nickel6.jpg

Neal