In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.264 Jerome Improve.

henbehenbe Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited April 2010 in Ask the Experts
Has anyone heard of a .264 Jerome Improved? If so, what does it compare to. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry, never heard of it- but I ran a quick check of a database I use, and found 28 different .264 Cartridges. Closest in name was a .264 Jameson (must drink Irish whisky after shooting, perhaps) and .264 Jarret.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    henbe,

What prompted the question? Where did you see this cartridge mentioned? Is it mentioned in a text somewhere or is it on the barrel of a firearm? One or more of these answers could get us on a track of finding more information.

If it's on the side of the rifle barrel, the chamber can be cast and the cast measured for the answer. If it's in a description of an auction item, e-mail the seller for information.

I don't see this cartridge in any of my references or on any of the lists that I keep for situations such as this. But that's not unusual given the proclivity of wildcatters, gunsmiths and gunwriters to have something named after themselves.

The probability is that this is simply a common cartridge with some form of slight improvement which would allow a wildcatter or gunsmith to re-name that cartridge configuration. Without an actual cartridge to measure or detailed photographs with a reference, we're left with nothing but wild guesses.

Best.
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    henbe,

What prompted the question? Where did you see this cartridge mentioned?

Maybe this has something to do with it ...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=166525403

Ed
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not listed in "Handloaders Manual of Cartridge Conversions". The only improved versions af a 6.5mm cartridge which would be appropriate for the Arisaka action are the .264 Hollis, basically an improved 6.5mmx257 Roberts and the .260 AAR(fairly minor differences between these two wildcats). Proper reloading dies might get pretty expensive and such a rifle likely not worth the cost(just my opinion)
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Interesting I guess the builder wanted to know what direction he was shooting also[:p] at that price how could you go wrong.[;)]