In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Condition of gun on 1-100% scale

gsjensengsjensen Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited May 2011 in Ask the Experts
I have been asked to rate the condition of the gun that I have up for sale and don't know what to base it on. Can you please help?[?]

Comments

• Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well if it has no flaws and its like new its 99%. Because some one will always find a flaw in it even if you can't see one. If it has some minor flaws you just have to base condition on what you think.
    It doesn't matter because if you state its 85-90% condition, who ever buys it will say it was 80-85%. Just be honest and list any flaws in it.
    Condition of blueing, condition of wood any nicks or dings, is it 100% in good mechanical condition and so on. Good Luck.

And a major factor is the condition of the inside of the barrel don't neglect that fact as that is a big one.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    what is the auction number so we can give you our experts opinions
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    High quality close up photos are the best indicator of a guns cosmetic condition. Usually but not always this also reflects it's internal condition also. Unfortunately I seen a number of pristine guns over the years with rusted out, sewer pipe bores. Mostly due to the lack of cleaning after firing corrosive ammo.

EDIT #1, I agree 100% with Mark. Lack of factory original finish is a major factor in the valuation of high dollar guns. No matter the quality of the commercial refinish it would have be a negative as far as a buyer is concerned, unless the price is adjusted for the refinishing. I don't know how you priced your 3200? Hopefully you factored in the non factory finish when you decided on the price.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for the good info. The item number of my ad is 230821013. I know you can't tell by photos alone, but let me know if you have any comments after checking it out. Over the 2 years that we have owned the gun, it really hasn't been fired a lot; my son figured out that maybe 800 rounds total(FFA trapshoot team). He took excellent care of the gun. The bores are shiny clean. Just reblued the barrels and they look perfect. Up close you can detect minor flaws from useage on the stock and some wear from age on the pad. Nothing major jumps out. Nothing wrong mechanically. Fires tight. Thank you again.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=230821013

I am not sure how you managed to do it but your auction does not close until 16 August 2011...77 days from now! 14 days should be the maximum duration of any listing so something got crossed up somewhere along the line.

At any rate, it is a fine looking 3200 and based on what I can see it rates a good 95% but you had better state CLEARLY in the listing that it has been refinished. Otherwise someone will buy it, see it has been reblued and get plenty PO'd.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As mentioned, evaluation of gun "percentage" finish is a little bit subjective. No matter what number you give, someone else will disagree with it.

In my opinion, the best way to give a "percentage" is to have lots of well-lit good color images of the gun from all angles and have the prospective buyer figure out for themselves what percentage the gun is. Show close-up pictures of any defects you identify, so the buyer can make an informed appraisal/opinion.

If (and only if) the gun is literally unfired, untouched by human hands, and in the original box, then you can call it "like new in box".

I still wouldn't call it "100%" because there may be a drag line where the cylinder turned (for a revolver), a mark on the finish from the normal action of the safety or other parts, or even INTERNAL marks on the bluing from normal working of the action or insertion of the magazine, etc.

+1 to Mark on evaluation and mention of "refinish" in your ad.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice looking shotgun, however when refinished, I was under the impression from past posts that the percentage finish no longer applies.

Honest wear shows how the gun was used, stored, etc. and gives the buyer some indication of how it was (mis)treated. Refinishing can cover a multitude of sins.
  • Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keep in mind there are three percentage numbers that can apply, the one given by the seller, another by prospective buyer and the third by a disinterested party. Just one of the 'givens' in human nature.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, I've certainly learned a lot - I appreciate your help.

I decided (for good or for bad) to ask the same price that I paid for it. I didn't take into consideration the refinished barrels. I will make updates to the description.

I chose to sell it at a "fixed price" so there were options regarding the duration of the ad: 30-60-90.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    It is a good move on your part to go back and disclose that the barrels were refinished. Good luck with the sale.