In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

California C&R shipping

Farmer BrownFarmer Brown Member Posts: 198 ✭✭✭
edited May 2011 in Ask the Experts
Okay, I know this has probably been beaten to death, but I don't remember any prior discussions.

Can one ship a 50 year old long gun directly to a California C&R holder?

Are there any 50 year old rifles that are restricted, such as military semi-autos, etc.?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    C&R long guns over 50 years old can be shipped directly to a CA Type 03 FFL, although any centerfire semiauto rifle with a pistol grip and detachable magazine would be restricted.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Farmer Brown
    Okay, I know this has probably been beaten to death, but I don't remember any prior discussions.

Are there any 50 year old rifles that are restricted, such as military semi-autos, etc.?

Thanks.

What is the long gun being shipped?
  • Options
    Farmer BrownFarmer Brown Member Posts: 198 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dfletcher

Thanks.

Mostly old Mausers. Now I know I am okay there. What about WWII era battle rifles that have detachable mags but no pistol grips, such as the Soviet SVT, FN49, etc.?
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dfletcher

Thanks.

Mostly old Mausers. Now I know I am okay there. What about WWII era battle rifles that have detachable mags but no pistol grips, such as the Soviet SVT, FN49, etc.?

I don't know much about the SVT - does it have a brake or an FH? I have an FN49 & that's fine. Basically on the older guns with no pistol grip the only thing to be concerned about is the combination of a flash hider and detachable magazine. But you've got to use the "CA version" of a flash hider and a detachable magazine.

The CA version of an FH is a device which redirects the muzzle flash away from the shooter's field of view. This could be applied to nearly anything, but the approach used is that if the device has ports instead of slashes, if the hole at the end of the device is approximately the same as the bore diameter - it's a brake and that's OK. Think of an A1 or A2 AR flash hider as an example, or the M1A FH as compared to the M1A "CA legal" brake version by Springfield. If the gun comes with an FH that can be removed you can remove and send separately, an FH is not illegal to possess in CA.

In CA, a detachable magazine is one that can be removed from the firearm without the use of a tool - a tool can be anything including a bullet tip, a pencil - literally anything. A non-detachable magazine is not a permanently fixed magazine. The FN49 is a good example of a CA version of a non-detachable magazine - I can't detach mine by hand, I use a screwdriver.

Gun like the M1A, M1 Carbine, G43, Garand are all fine. If one happens to have a "CA illegal" feature you can generally remove it and send in separately - it's up to the CA resident to legally configure.

Clear as mud, eh?