In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

cleaning commie surp ammo

mossberg500manmossberg500man Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2011 in Ask the Experts
hey i acquired a mosin nagant and have been looking at how dirt cheap yugo surplus ammo is but my question is whats the best way to neutralize the primer? ive everything from special cleaners to water to jusr regular old hopes any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    WD-40 works very good.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    to neutralize the corrosive salt?
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hot water and soap.

CP
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Walmart's equivalent of Window with ammonia in my barrel after shooting corrosive ammo. Fairly cheap and it seems to work.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Plenty of hot water (although cold water will work) and some plain old soap is all that you need to clean up after firing corrosive ammo. If you don't want to use plain soap and water then you can probably find some of the old USGI bore cleaner which was water based and stinks like hell!
    [img][/img]100_0619.jpg
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,476 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    Plenty of hot water (although cold water will work) and some plain old soap is all that you need to clean up after firing corrosive ammo. If you don't want to use plain soap and water then you can probably find some of the old USGI bore cleaner which was water based and stinks like hell!
    [img][/img]100_0619.jpg

I picked up a case of this stuff at a show for around $ 10.00 a few years back. I've used it after shooting some mildly corrosive 30-06 in an old South American Mauser, and also use it on the AKs when shooting surplus 7.62 x 39. Have never seen any corrosion problems after using.

Mr. Christian is 100% correct in his analysis of the smell.[:)]
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The corrosive salts from perchlorate primers are water-soluble.

So the simplest effective way to clean them out is just with ordinary water.

The hotter the water, the better, since salts dissolve much more readily in hot water, and hot water tends to soften up grease and other muck. Also, the hotter the water (right up to boiling), the faster it dries.

Adding soap to the water helps get out other gunk that from the bore too.

Hoppes #9 happens to be OK against corrosive salts, so you could use the same cleaner for all your guns if you liked.

People do use Windex or other ammonia-based solvents, and those will definitely work, though those are ammonia-in-water solutions, and I'm not really convinced they work any better than ordinary hot water.

Lastsly, if you're cleaning Mosin-Nagant rifles, make sure you wipe down the CHAMBER, BREECHFACE and BOLT surfaces as well as the bore! Its easy to forget those, but they'll just as surely rust as the bore if you don't clean them.
  • Options
    spas12spas12 Member Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i use hoppes #9 and have never had a problem.
  • Options
    Atom242Atom242 Member Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Windex!!!! Its $2.35 and it works!!!!!!![:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ok thank you to all im now off to beat my shoulder senseless soon having fun with my mosin[:D]