In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Marlin .308 mx ammo

twogunkellytwogunkelly Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
Howdy: I would like to know if the 308 marlin express ammo can be hand loaded??????can it be made to shoot flatter or faster than standard leverevolution ammo available from hornady in a Marlin 308mx rifle???or is that a bad idea????The standard ammo might be a little light for elk shooting.....Thanks...

Comments

• tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am sure that anything can be handloaded. As for shooting flatter than factory loads...I doubt it, as those loads are made by Hornady, and are on the cutting edge.

The 308 Marlin Express light for Elk? Don't sell yourself short, as there have been plenty of Elk harvested with 243's, 25-06, 257 Roberts, 257 weatherby, the beloved 270 Winchester, and many other lesser caliber's.

However, everything has its limits...including a hunter and his equipment. Know them, and don't exceed them.

That said, if you wish to make your rifle into a two shot, load one into the chamber, then one in the magazine, you can safely handload any other bullet in the 308 Marlin Express. I would reccommend the Barnes TSX bullets for Elk.

Best