In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Smith, What am I?

rdgshdwerdgshdwe Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
I may be overlooking something very obvious, but for some reason cannot come up for what exactly this Smith is? I would say a Model 10, but it doesn't seem right?

I would appreciate it if you guys would look it over and tell me what you think, if you need to see a picture of something specific let me know, ill post it up as soon as possible

Thanks in advance, you guys always help me out a lot!

100_0915.jpg

100_0914.jpg

100_0913.jpg

100_0912.jpg

100_0911.jpg

100_0916.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The caliber, finish, serial number range, and lanyard ring put it into the range of the very early Military & Police models sent to England as Land Lease guns, dating to the late 30's. From the V.G. condition and lack of British post war commercial proofs it looks like it never got to England or came back in some G.I.'s duffel bag without seeing much hard wartime use.

I can't tell if the finish and grips are original or not, they might be?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks! I knew it was something unusual

and congrats on your 12000 post!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ha, yah know. I missed a key picture when I posted the original 6

100_0917.jpg

sorry about that, this one probably makes it a lot more apparent...
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rdgshdwe
    Ha, yah know. I missed a key picture when I posted the original 6

100_0917.jpg

sorry about that, this one probably makes it a lot more apparent...

According to the Brit Proofs it has been rechambered to .38 Special from .38 S & W. Likely this would affect it's collectors value to a military handgun collector. Also depending on the workmanship of the rechambering it might have weakened the cylinder to some extent, i.e. wouldn't be a good idea to fire with Plus P type .38 Special ammo.
  • Options
    CDMeadCDMead Member Posts: 2,141 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That pistol would be referred to as a "pre Model 10" or more accurately a 1905 4th Change Military and Police model.

Please note, the caliber is 38 S&W. This is considerably different than 38 Special.

The number on the bottom of the frame by the grips is the serial number. The number inside the crane is an assembly number. The numbers on the barrel flat are British proof marks surrounding the serial number.

There should be serial number markings (IIRC) also on the cylinder face, the inside of the ejector star and on the inside of one of the grip panels. The grip may be marked in pencil.

I don't know exactly, but I would suggest that pistol was made in the mid to late 1930s.

You can contact Smith and Wesson and request a firearm history or "factory letter" for $50.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_757825_-1_757814_757812_image

It might be worth it in this case as the British utilized a lot a varied resources to obtain small arms prior to Lend Lease.

Edited to add:

Now I'm confused about the caliber. If it's 38 S&W, 38 Special cartridges shouldn't fit. The 38 S&W is much shorter. I'm generally leary of these post war conversions that were done to capitalize on the profitable US markets.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The conversion from .38 S&W to .38 Spl seems to have been made retaining the same barrel. Most .38 S&W barrels are oversize bore for the .38 Spl. You may be able to use .38 Spl hollow base wadcutters as they are mild loads and the skirt of the hollow base may expand enough to grip the rifling.
  • Options
    StackStack Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the British proof marks, to the left of the BNP mark, is crossed lances with a letter on either side. I'm unable to see the letters, but the letters will indicate the year the pistol was rechambered to .38 Special and proofed. I have previously posted a chart, on ASK THE EXPERTS forum, for dating Birmingham proof marks.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=512104
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The letters to the sides of the crossed lances are LB

I appreciate all the input guys! your always a great help!
  • Options
    StackStack Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    LB indicates the pistol was proofed in 1960.