In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gunsmith in Houston Area for M14

MinigtrMinigtr Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
Hey everyone

I am about to acquire a USGI M14 and the previous owner decided to "camo" the barrel and stock. Now the stock has been sanded down back to its original finish leaving the metal parts to contend with.

My question is: Where in the Houston area is a trustworthy gunsmith that i can leave this rifle to have it restored?

many thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd figure outwhat kind of paint was used and clean it myself. A bit of paint stripper/thinner and time. After that you'll know if it's worth "restoring" (what ever that means to some folks).
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    USGI M14??

I doubt it.

CP
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a gunsmith in Louisiana named James Willis, Willis Arms, he refinished three handguns for me and does EXCELLENT work.
    http://willisarms.com/
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd follow Yosh's advice first.

I'm sure that there are some fine gunsmiths in your area, but my experience is that the best 'smiths to work on service rifles are "service trained armorers". If you can't find one of these in Houston, I'd ship it to:

Roland Beaver
    1127 Hwy 64 E
    Bald Knob, AR 72010
    501-724-6388

Neal
  • Options
    MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would contact Collector's Firearms (Fondren and Richmond) and see who they recommend. They have a serious collection in addition to the items they sell.

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/
    Regards, MAALOX
  • Options
    MMMarvisMMMarvis Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could even ask around at m14forum.com
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have a "USGI M14", the firearm is a Class III machinegun. It will need to go to a smith with a class III, or you will need to do some paperwork with the ATF. And I DO hope you already HAVE some paperwork with the ATF, like a paper with a transfer stamp on it.

If you think that an M14 is NOT a Class III because it has a selector switch block, you need to do some study real fast. If you already know this, please excuse the lecture.