In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911's

HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
[b
Would you happen to know anything about 1911's 45 Military
matching ###S but seem to be world War 1 reworks ...On gun it has (AA).But I was told by A gun dealer that he has never seen any 1911'S for this year that were this clean!!
Also in the group is a (Ace 22 1911)
training pistol One 45 is a RemingtonRan The Other is a Colt.
I beleive the date on guns is 1913 (USA)
Any info would be great.
Thanks Ricklue][/blue][}:)]

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I am not a big pistol guy, but I have a request for some info/recommendation. Budget is around $800.00. How do you compare the Ruger vs the Remington. (45ACP)---I'm mostly interested in function/reliability. Any other brand would be fine, but, again I'm not an expert in handguns. Your thoughts please. THX GUYS
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Folks like the old Chevy ford debate I sure everyone one has their special likes and dislikes.

Please advise am considering buying one and need feedback.
    If you own one what's your like and dislike ?

Thanks
    Wayne
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I guess that I have been under a rock for the last several years. Since I have started to look for a 1911, I've found out that they are scarce as hens teeth. As a FFL holder, I'd like not to have to pay retail plus. None of my usual suppliers have ANY Rugers, Rem 1911;s,very few Para-US, or Colts. Yes, I've looked at the auction side. SOOOO---Does anyone have any comments/experienc with Armscor/Rock Is., or Magnum research 1911's? Or any other makes?
    THX HAWKSHAW
  • Options
    countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    Rock Islands from all the comments I have seen are a good basic 1911, just dont expect Colt or Kimber quality. They should last the average person a lifetime.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    how about Kahr, Taurus, Springfield, Magnum Research, Smith&Wesson, Sigarms, Para-Ordnance, just to name a few.
  • Options
    GarthGarth Member Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A family member bought a rock island. Right out of the box was as accurate as any "race quality" 1911 as I have ever had the privelege of shooting. Dead on at 25 yards. Just my 2 cents. Best
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kahr bought Magnum Research awhile back. Most likely they would be the same pistol, perhaps sold under different names?

Justin Moon of Kahr started making 1911's back after he bought Auto-Ordnance from Numrich Arms. Supposedly he has revised all the tooling and machine operations so that everything is done on NC controlled machining centers.

I haven't had any hands-on with the new production Auto-Ordnance/Kahr 1911's, but they have to be better quality then the ones that Numrich/GPC use to knock out.
  • Options
    Oso2142Oso2142 Member Posts: 2,940
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    Kahr bought Magnum Research awhile back. Most likely they would be the same pistol, perhaps sold under different names?

Justin Moon of Kahr started making 1911's back after he bought Auto-Ordnance from Numrich Arms. Supposedly he has revised all the tooling and machine operations so that everything is done on NC controlled machining centers.

I haven't had any hands-on with the new production Auto-Ordnance/Kahr 1911's, but they have to be better quality then the ones that Numrich/GPC use to knock out.

The 1911 Magnum Research pistol is being manufactured by BUL, in Israel. Personally, I've heard good things about the gun.

Also, there's STI's Spartan; which folks seem to like, as well.

Can't go wrong with Springfield. [;)]

I would go with Springfield. [;)] [;)]

Just love that: "just send it in... it doesn't matter who the original owner is." [^][^]
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought I'll never hear the words '1911" and 'scarce" in the same sentence.[:D]

How about this one of the 2800 on auction now??? And he's local to you.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=232811105
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hawkshaw,

It all depends on what you want, and how much do you want to spend? Are you layal to the red, white, and blue? Then here is a list...Colt, Para USA(previously Para Ordnance), S&W, Ruger, Remington, Wilson, Les Baer, Clark Custom, Fusion Firearms, and a few other's I have not yet mentioned.

Best
  • Options
    MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about snapping up a true Colt Commemorative? You have the build quality and either pre-70 series or early 70 series. Their prices are somewhat below new guns yet they are almost always NBF.
  • Options
    M-14BULLETTSM-14BULLETTS Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    STAY AWAY FROM PARA USA FOR NOW
    CUSTOMER SERVICE NEEDS LOTS OF WORK TO MATCH WALMART
    LOTS OF ISSUES WITH POST MOVE TO USA GUNS
    COLTS SPRINGFIELDS

I AM WAITING TO GRAB THE NEW RUGER TO SEE IT
  • Options
    lee shermanlee sherman Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is what I know on the subject. Last July after much research on the 1911 I popped for a Citadel [Armscor] full size 1911 pistol. The price was good at $525.00. [Calif] It shoots great. Finish work and details are wonderful. Accuracy is none better at 25 yds. 600 rds. and counting with only one FTF. Affordable 1911? You bet. My neighbor bought a Springfield Armory full size SST Trophy Match 1911 for $1115.00 NIB. This pistol was without a doubt the best shooting 1911 I have ever fondled! Absolutly no disappointments with either sidearm. Calif. legal and available. Two different price ranges with an excellent track record for both. Ya gotta love those 1911's. Virtually timeless in every respect.[:)][:D]
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shot a Springfield Operator this weekend-amazing handgun. Very accurate, comfortable to shoot and 100% reliable. Was my nephews gun--I personally don't like rail's on 1911's and his has a rail but other Springfields don't. I would have no qualms buying one.
  • Options
    melkormelkor Member Posts: 191 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have owned 64 1911s I currently own 5. Budget = Base Model Kimber Medium = Colt

Mildly expensive Les Baer Premier 2 Expensive Ed Brown

I suggest a 70's series Colt Used or a Ed Brown and be done with it.

skip para, springfield, etc
  • Options
    philo beddoephilo beddoe Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by melkor
    I have owned 64 1911s I currently own 5. Budget = Base Model Kimber Medium = Colt

Mildly expensive Les Baer Premier 2 Expensive Ed Brown

I suggest a 70's series Colt Used or a Ed Brown and be done with it.

skip para, springfield, etc

agreed, pull a 70's series off an auction and shoot it for the rest of your life