In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Drobs EAA Witness

armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
quote:drobs
Advanced Member

Iraq
15651 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2011 : 01:52:21 AM Show Profile Email Poster
I had a 10mm steel frame Witness. The factory Hi Cap mags took some breaking in before they were 100% on the range.

Gun was the heaviest pistol I owned. Made my 1911's feel light weight in a holster.

Once broken in the gun shot decently. I was planning on selling it till I realized I had some 500rds of 10mm. Took an afternoon and shot it all up. Actually got pretty good with it.

If you are shopping a price point. The sky is the limit on other used name brand guns (CZ, Sig, Beretta, Glock, Browning, Springfield, etc) out there at the same price or less.

If you are shopping 10mm not much selection available out there.

Question for you, in the above you stated that you had one of these in 10MM. Do you still have it as I was contemplating getting another.
These are excellent guns for the money as I stated in the other thread. I have also heard that there were some questions as to the slides breaking on the 10MM's. Have you heard any thing to support this ??

Comments

• beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite1015
    Question for you, in the above you stated that you had one of these in 10MM. Do you still have it as I was contemplating getting another.
    These are excellent guns for the money as I stated in the other thread. I have also heard that there were some questions as to the slides breaking on the 10MM's. Have you heard any thing to support this ??

I've never heard of slides breaking, per se, though I do know for sure that these come from the factory with weak recoil springs.

As a result, the guns can toss empty 10mm brass like a rocket out 30+ feet, which can be pretty annoying if you're trying to reload the cases (which, I'd imagine, most serious 10mm shooters are).

That *plus* the fact that weak springs probably cause increased slide-frame battering mean that replacing the stock factory spring with a stronger one is probably a good idea.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry for the slow response. I haven't read anything on slides breaking on EAA guns but might be out of the loop. I bought the Witness 10mm to try to force myself into reloading.

I sold mine off years ago after being laid off.

Finally got into reloading recently.

I seem to recall my high cap mags got pretty weak toward the end of the magazine. Read somewhere that the mags (Mecgar IIRC) need to be degreased. I couldn't get the mag base plate off for the life of me and just marked the mags that seemed weak.

If I was to do a 10mm again I would look for something in a polymer frame - Glock or Witness Polymer (Do they make one in 10mm?).

Really IMHO, the Glock 10mm is the way go. Lightweight, high capacity, ultimate reliability. I own Glocks on and off (don't have any right now).

Kimbers and Colt 10's are nice, just spendy across the board.

You migh ask member: CS8161, how his Witness Poly 10mm has been holding up.

Also before you buy - if you don't reload, be sure to check out 10mm ammo prices. As I recall they were high back when I had my gun.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Drobs Thanks for your reply. I just can't recall where I heard about the slides cracking but it was recent. As far as Glocks go I just can't bring myself to own one regardless on how good they are. As far as reloading I already reload for 15-20 calibers so thats not a problem. Thanks again for your reply and Beantowns as well. I give a shout to CS8161 as well.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know what you mean about Glocks. [8D]
    I'm taking a hiatus from owning them.

At some point I'm gonna need to buy a pocket gun - haven't decided between Glock, Kahr, or something else. Need a plastic gun for swimming - fly fishing. [:o)]