In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45 ACP vs. 45 Auto

ed_feded_fed Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited March 2003 in Ask the Experts
I just bought a S&W model 945. Went to Sports Authority to by .45 ACP ammo. Only had Winchester .45 Auto. Clerk said it's the same thing. Is there a difference? Thanks, Ed

Comments

• Options
    22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    One in the same ACP=Automatic Colt Pistol

Snake.gif
    underwaysm.gif
    SOLD MY COW SO I DON'T NEED YOUR BULL
    A Grumpy Old Man
  • Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    .45acp = .45 auto = .45 automatic colt pistol = all the same thing
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    22WRF is correct. They are one in the same... However, some people use the .45 colt and .45 ACP interchangeably, and what they should say is .45 LONG colt and .45 ACP (automatic colt pistol). The .45 LC is similar to the .44 rem mag, but lower powered.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,009 ******
    edited November -1
    I always liked the .45 ACP better than the plain old .45 Auto.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,009 ******
    edited November -1
    I always liked the .45 ACP better than the plain old .45 Auto.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    not to be confused with the .45 AUTO RIM, which is a horse of a different color. best regards, mike.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.
  • Options
    SunraySunray Member Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not that I want to start a fuss, but the .45 Colt is the Long Colt. The term 'Long Colt" is a misnomer. Not that it matters. .45 Auto and ACP are the same thing. It's just a marketing thing. And, gezzuz, like mrmike08075 says, don't buy .45 auto rim for a pistol. It's a rimmed .45 ACP sized case for use in revolvers made for WW I instead of using half or full moon clips.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was just pointing out that when some people say .45 colt they mean the long colt, not the ACP version. It's all just semantics anyway. [;)]
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    rordogrordog Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sunray, just to be picky, there is a .45 "short" Colt. In the 1870's when S&W won a small gov. contract, their #3 top break revolver wouldn't handle the "long" cartridge. A shorter one was developed that was used in the S&W #3, and the '73 Colt. The Colt revolver could shoot either one.
  • Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    And if you aren't confused enough....there was also .45 Schofield for the S&W Schofield revolver which was issued to some troops.....AND .45 Government which was a * cartridge that would fit both the Schofield and the Colt Single Action Army.

However, as you were told above, .45ACP and .45 Auto are just different names for the same cartridge.