In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Threading a barrel - legal?

cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,430 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2003 in Ask the Experts
Is threading a barrel on a rifle that did not have that factory config. legal? I realize that what is put on the end of the barrel is another story. My question is just about adding the thread.

Thanks,

cbxjeffIt's too late for me, save yourself.
It's too late for me, save yourself.

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm gonna say........it depends on the rifle.
    Bolt, lever or pump should be no problem.
    A lot of the semi-autos should be no problem either.
    The "assult" clones (and others on the "ban list") would most likely be a problem.
    Just my opinion.

Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,358 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    I think that if someone wanted to get picky it would be considered illegal. I belive that a threaded muzzle is one of the things that adds up to a banned assault weapon. However, I doubt any agency would put the effort into finding out whether it was a pre or post ban modification. My opinion, for what it's worth.

U!S!A! ALL THE WAY!!
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    You are allowed to thread the barrel of a post ban semi automatic rifle, but the muzzel device you instal (other than a banned flash hidder) must then be welded or silver soldered in place so that it cannot be removed. What this means is that you can thread the barrel of a post ban Bushmaster and then screw on a muzzel brake IF you then weld the brake into place. The BATF mandates the use of a full fusion weld around the divice or four smaller welds at positions 12,3,6, and 9. High temperature silver solder can also be used if you desire. These questions are always A LOT easire to answer if you tell us exactly what it is you want to do. If you simply want to have a threaded barrel on a post ban semi and nothing attached to it permanently, this is banned under the Crime Bill.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,430 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the reply guys. Mark, I tried to keep my post as short as possible - I guess too short. To expand: I have found a foreign 22LR semi-auto at a good price. I happen to have 2 others of this brand although different actions and cals. and I love them. This possible buy has a threaded barrel. I'm taking the cautious approach and figure it was not factory. So first, I wanted to know if that mod was illegal. That is my primary question. Now it happens that I have a legal 22 silencer, why, I address that later. What if I installed that silencer, I thought to myself? Well my Walther, the pistol I bought the silencer for, is current production with a threaded barrel (although factory). Can I do this?

One other thought (worry). I know it is illegal for me to just have in my posession a full auto M-16 sear if I happen to have an AR also. Not installed, just owned. Would just owning the legal silencer along with this threaded barrel rifle get me in trouble? Hey, I said this was going to be long.

Why the silencer? Well at this point in my life I really enjoy having unusual things. They don't have to have great practical use. I never would have said this 30 years ago.

Thanks for listening guys. Now just help me keep out of jail!

cbxjeffIt's too late for me, save yourself.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.