In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.22lr birdshot cartridges

bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
edited March 2003 in Ask the Experts
When I was a kid we had a bunch of those crimped-end .22lr and I remember everyone telling us that it would ruin the accuracy. It would make sense since it would run down the rifling. However, the new CCI birdshot (the kind with the silver casing and blue "bullet") appears that it is protected from touching the rifling. Anyone have any real experience with it. I want to take NO chances hurting my guns or their rifling. I was thinking about using it in a 10/22 and/or my S&W 422 .22 semi-auto pistol. Will it feed reliably in these autos? Will the rifling be safe? Was the old crimp style shells hurting the bore a myth or fact?
I see there's also some from other manufacturers (such as Federal) as well, what's your opinions of them?
Thanks
Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.

Comments

• p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Lot of bull about the crimped cases messing up your barrel. Standard drill, clean your weapon at the end of the day. I always figured the plastic would hurt a barrel, but have never found any evidence of it. I have found that NO automatic will cycle with the shot cartridges. You would be better off with a bolt action, a revolver, or a falling block to play around with. They all (the shot cartridges) pretty much behave the same.
  • SunraySunray Member Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only problem you'll have with any shotshell out of a rifled barrel is inaccuracy. The shot column flies in a spiral created bythe rifling not a round shot pattern. They're ok for very close shots but not for hunting.
    None of 'em will hurt your barrel though. Even with the plastic shot thingy. They don't go fast enough for the plastic to melt onto the barrel.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a log cabin that carpenter bees like to chomp on. In fact, carpenter bee season starts in about 2 weeks.
    I have a Ruger Single Six. It is great sport to shoot those bees on the wing with the ratshot. The crimped end works better than the blue bullet style.
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a note to those of you who may have some of the old style .22 shot stashed away . . . some of those boxes bring a nice premium (into three figures) and almost all are worth more than the modern stuff as collector items if the boxes are in nice shape.

I've used both on chipmunks and similar pests and don't see much difference in effectiveness. Beyond 30 or so feet, luck out-balances skill IMO.
  • MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winchester still makes .22 crimped shotshells I believe.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your opinions guys - I appreciate it.

From what I gather, it is safe to shoot the stuff, it typically doesn't function correctly in a semi-auto. It has relatively short range and has minimal penetration, but should work fine for snakes if they are close enough to cause any problems... Sounds like it'll fit the bill, I do wish it would cycle correctly. We'll see - thanks again.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.