In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Roper grips on Colt Woodsman; Factory original?

WheelgunWheelgun Member Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
edited March 2003 in Ask the Experts
I've got a 1927 vintage Woodsman (1st year with Woodsman rollmark), with 6 5/8" barrel that had Roper thumb-rest target grips on it when purchased.

My question is: Does anyone have one of these guns with these grips that is "lettered" from Colt as having been shipped with these Roper target grips?

(the grips pictured are damaged, mine aren't) [:)]
orig.jpg

Mark
wheelgun@tds.net

Comments

• Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never heard of any Colt being shipped with Roper stocks, but, with Colt, anything is possible.

With a first-year Woodsman (the Woodsman name is said to have started at 54,000), the price of a letter would be well spent to find out for sure. Finding correct stocks might be a bit tough, but all "post-diamond" wood stocks should be the same, which gives you a large pool in which to search. The problem will be if the Ropers have left marks on the frame that the correct stocks will not cover.

Roper stocks are collectable in their own right, and make a nice addition to any period piece. To some, they might even enhance the value of the pistol.
  • Options
    2xbyu2xbyu Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wheelgun, from "The Colt Woodsman Pocket Guide" FAQ page 91 question #15.

Q, My Match Target "Bullseye" model has a beautiful set of grips with a palm swell and thumb rest. Were these special order?

A, Probably not. While a very few were special ordered with custom grips by Roper or others, the vast majority of those that have special grips were so fitted after being sold at retail.

There is a chance, agree with JudgeColt, the price of a letter is well spent here.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. I agree that a factory letter is (usually) the last word, but factory letters from Colt's are a bit on the pricey side when you take into account that it often takes more than one letter to get the complete story on a particular gun. At a minimum of $75 per letter, you can see why I'm trying to get as much as possbile in the way of free info... (not that I'm cheap or anything...) [:D]

Mark

Wheelguns is REALGUNS!
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What do you mean it takes more than one letter to get the complete story on a particular gun? I have dozens of Colt letters and each one contains all the information available on each gun. All a letter can say is the serial number, caliber, barrel length, finish, type of stocks, name and address where shipped and number of guns in the shipment. If there was a special order feature, it will be mentioned as a remark, along with the work order number, etc.. If there were an error or omission, I am sure Colt would not charge you to correct it. (I have done that myself where the typist got off the home row. Great (not) proof-reading, but that was over 20 years ago!)

What exactly do you mean by "more than one letter" to get the complete story? Surely, if the pistol is nice, and the Ropers might be factory, a $75 letter would be worth it to know about the Ropers. The letter will add its price to the value of the gun.

I remain skeptical that any pistols were ever shipped with Ropers, but in the early day, factories were much more responsive than now so it is possilbe.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey Judge,

Thanks for clarifying the multiple letter issue. That tidbit of info came to me from an unverified source, but supposedly was based on a personal experience. I thought it sounded a little suspicious, but hey, I'm really more of a S&W revolver type, so what do I know? [:0]

Guess a call to Hartford would be the most reliable way to find out the total cost prior to actually ordering "the letter", huh?

As for the collectible factor of the Roper stocks themselves, the fact that this Woodsman was so equipped, along with the overall high condition of the gun, was one of the factors that influenced me to buy it in the first place. Didn't hurt that it was waaay underpriced and also included two extra original magazines which also match the condition of the gun, which incidentally I would rate in the 98% range. [:I]

Thanks again,
    Mark