In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How old is my Winchester Model 70

RedtailRedtail Member Posts: 155 ✭✭✭
edited March 2003 in Ask the Experts
Can someone tell me when my model 70 was made SN#854***?
THANKS

Comments

• KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My book shows that your gun was made in 1966.
  • RedtailRedtail Member Posts: 155 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is there any thing to keep it from kicking so hard(I am 14 and weigh 83 pounds)
    THANKS
  • captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    The Model 70 Production Run for 1967 began with 833796 and ended at 869000....As for Recoil, there's not much that can be done for a Young Man your Size...You could try a Recoil Boot or a Recoil Pad, but I'd suggest trying a Shooter's Jacket......Best....Captain Kirk

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
    edited November -1
    Thank you very much Cpt.Kirk,But I'm not a young man'I'M A GIRL!!!
  • snickerssnickers Member Posts: 359 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gotcha Captain

MONEY TALKS mine says good-bye
  • Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    Red,
    What caliber is your rifle? One possiblity is a muzzel brake. It is good to see a young person doing some shooting in the right way.[8D]

Self defence is an ablsolute and natural right. Keep your powder dry! J. Rau, Alaska
    edited November -1
    It's a 30-06, it was my Dad's,my stepdad dont hunt but said I can go with my cousins this fall if I learn to handle a deer rifle.I'm pretty good with my 22 but have only shot my Winchester about 20 times,it made a bruise but I didn't want to stop.
    My Uncle lives about 75 miles away and we dont visit often,when we do I help him reload shells.
    Redtail
    edited November -1
    JOYCE: Did'nt Know You was a Lady type Girl...Sorry about the gender mixup....If the Rifle fits you as it is...then I'd suggest that You have the Stock Cut Down and a Re-Coil Pad installed..It would be the Least Expensive and should aliviate some of the Re-coil...Then again, if someone in the Family Reloads 06 Bullets, then maybe they could Load you some Lighter Loads using Lighter Weight Bullets...I would'nt suggest lighter Loads with the Bullets that you Have...Ballistics is an other Topic...How about having Your Mom Sewing a Pad in a Wind Breaker for your Shooting Arm...? My Wife did that For Our Daughters and it worked just fine...and they arn't big Girls...Just suggestions is all I can offer at this point in time...Something for you to consider tho.....I wish You the Best...oh, by the way...Welcome to the Forums..........

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    Joyce,
    Kirk gave some good advice. Also, what tye of sighting system do you have, open sights or scope? I if it is a scope, BE VERY CAREFULL ABOUT EYE RELEIF!!![^]

Self defence is an ablsolute and natural right. Keep your powder dry! J. Rau, Alaska
    edited November -1
    THANKS everyone for the information and advice.I will try the shoulder pad thing but I dont want to cut the stock.My stepdad said he would pick up a box of 150 grain shells.He says they may not kick as hard as the 180 grain shells.
    I dont have a scope yet but hope to get one this summer.
    We will visit my Uncle the reloader on Easter week-end,and I will ask him to help me reload the shells I have already shot.
    THANKS ALL
    Redtail Hawk AKA JOYCE
    edited November -1
    Our pleasure Joyce...We're Always ready to help a Lady in distress...Feel free to contact this Author or the Forums anytime the mood Strikes......Best....

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff