In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Mauser Identification help needed.

redbikerredbiker Member Posts: 117 ✭✭
edited March 2003 in Ask the Experts
I just bought a Mauser carbine. I don't know much about them, but remember having one around as a kid and thought it was a really neat gun.
Anyway, this one appears to be oriental in origin. Don't know the exact language of the characters on the receiver but they look Chinese, Japanese, Korean. On the top of the receiver there are the 3 oriental characters, under the is 1955 and under that is 26, then the receiver #33330499. To the right side of the receiver across from the 26 is a 'K'in a circle. (Kosher????) and on the same side opposite the reciver # is a circle with a dot in it.On the side of the reciever just above the trigger is stamped 'ridgefield, NJ'There is a swing-away bayonet attached to the right side of barrel that is a stab only type, no sharp edges, just 4 blunt edges in a 'X' design. The stock is grooved/carved to accept this swing out bayonet. It's chambered in 7.62x54R. The bolt has the type of safety that pulls back and twists counter clockwise to engage 'safe' mode, bolt # 3309214. The trigger housing (?) where the unloading swing door is the number 3314902. On the underside of the receiver there are three '1's stamped. There are some other various partial numbers stamped into the under side of the receiver. Bayonet measures 12" and the barrel is 20 3/8" long as measured to where the rim of the cartridge fits in the bore. There are grooves etched or something into the barrel that encircle the barrel, closely together. These grooves are where the wood stock and forearm cover the barrel. On the top of the brass buttplate where it comes over the top end of the butt to the top of the stock is the # L018322.
These are all the numbers/marks that I could find.

Next question, how would I mount a scope on this gun? Not sure what kind of scope I would use, but since the rifle should be capable of fairly long range (several hundred yards), I want a decent magnification scope.

Ok, this gun does not have matching numbers, even if all of them have 3's in them, but I don't really care about that. Please don't flame me for buying an unmatched gun. Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance

Myles
Gunnison, CO
"panic, chaos and mayhem, my work here is done"

Comments

• 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    Looks like you got a Chinese Type 53 a copy of the Russian M1944 Mosin Nanget
    Corrected typo type 53 not 56 (56 is and SKS)
    Snake.gif
    underwaysm.gif
    SOLD MY COW SO I DON'T NEED YOUR BULL
    A Grumpy Old Man
  • redbikerredbiker Member Posts: 117 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hmm, Guess I was lied too. Dealer had it marked as a Mauser. OK, gotta ask, Is there an advantage of a Mauser over the M1944 Mosin Nanget? Disadvantages? What's this gun worth? I'd say it's in good condition, not a collector but that'd be my guess. Thanks again,

Myles
    Gunnison, CO
  • captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Its not a Mauser....Post a Photo or send me a photo.....also...K does'nt mean KOSHER...Once its ascertained just excactly WHAT You have
    then maybe We can discuss a Scope....Till then........lets do one thing at a time.....

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
    edited November -1
    AYE AYE, CAPTAIN. umm, how do I post a pic? I do have a digital cam, so that's no problem. I did know the 'K' in a circle did not mean Kosher in this instance. It'd have to be an edible gun for it to be Kosher.

Myles
    Gunnison, CO
  • 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    Is this a pic your rifle?
    http://members.skyenet.net/~freese/chinese M-53.htm

There are lots of Mausers out there.
    Better than a K98? no
    Better than a Turkish? Probably
    If I were to buy a another M44 it would be Russian I have a Romainian one.
    Yours should be a ok shooter value around $100
    If it is still in cosmoline clean it good incluing disassemble the bolt

http://www.mosin-nagant.net/

Snake.gif
    underwaysm.gif
    SOLD MY COW SO I DON'T NEED YOUR BULL
    A Grumpy Old Man
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by 22WRF
    Is this a pic your rifle?
    http://members.skyenet.net/~freese/chinese M-53.htm

Well, it certainly is the same type. I did some research via the Net and discovered it is indeed, a Chinese M1953-model 53 carbine. Also that funny "K"in a circle, might be an 'R' which could indicate Remington Arms. Found a great site: www.mosin-nagent.net that even has the receiver stamps on it to identify these guns made by various nations. Also has reviews of the various models. Seems the M93 carbine made in China is actually rather a decent gun according to that site. Lucky me!!!

I will post pics as soon as I figure out how, or I can post em elsewhere and post a link to them
    Thanks again,

Myles
    Gunnison, CO
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have a well built and strong and powerful rifle. The Mauser has a smoother action than the Mosin Nagant. Your rifle has about the power of a .308. The Chinese 53 is not the most accurate rifle ever made, but is ok. You might get 3 inch groups at 100 yards. Some guys report better accuracy with the bayonet extended!
    Lots of cheap military surplus ammo available, it is all corrosive so you have to clean the rifle every time you shoot.
    Lots of modern non corrosive hunting ammo out there.
    This guy makes a scout mount for it. You do not have to bend the bolt or drill and tap the rifle for a scout mount. It mounts on the rear sight and you use a pistol scope. It is a good short range setup, and the M53 is a good short range rifle.
    http://www.armscenter.com/parallax/crhomepagepics/newscoutpage.html
  • captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    If the Photo shown is the gun you have....theres No need for me to add anything further.....best....captain kirk

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff