In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911 Springfield vs. Kimber?

vipereatervipereater Member Posts: 90
edited March 2003 in Ask the Experts
I currently own a mid-90's Springfield 1911a1 with a fixed rear sight. The problem is the gun shoots consistently 8" left at 50 feet. I'm pondering whether I should machine the slide and set a Bo-mar adjustable sight on it or trade it off for a Kimber. I understand that the quality that goes into Kimber is exceeded only by custom build shops. And many techniques that custom build shops use is also used in the design and build of a Kimber. Yesterday I was talking to a dealer that sells both and he says that Kimber is superior over the SA. I enjoy the feel and control of my Springfield and the 1911 (although it does sometimes jam). Is the Kimber reliable and how tight are the groups? Have any other SA owners made the switch to Kimber and was it a wise decision?

Comments

• Options
    ladygunslingersladygunslingers Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a dealer...I carry several different brands of 1911's and I have an indoor shooting range. I can put a Springfield (or any other 1911 - including a 70 series Colt) and a Kimber in a customer's hand with 50 rounds of ammo and tell him to go shoot both and then tell me which one he wants. Almost without fail, the Kimber comes out the winner. I carry a Kimber (a blue Pro Carry with night sights) and my husband carries the Compact Stainless. One of my employees also carries the Stainless Pro Carry, although she has added slimline grips. In my opinion, the Kimber is absolutely the best "out of the box" 1911 on the market today. I even know a couple of people who are shooting competition with them against custom builds and they can run with some of the customs.

Charli Stokes
    Panhandle Gunslingers
    http://panhandlegunslingers.com
  • Options
    punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    I have about 10 1911s at last count. Colts, Randall, Springfields, Dan Wesson,Para Ordnance LDA and a Baer. Notice anything missing? Just kidding, Kimber assembles a very nice 1911 using top quality components and their quality is consistant. I don't care for the Schwartz stlye firing pin safety on the Series II guns, but that is just my opinion. Bottom line is you won't go wrong a Kimber.

Sounds like you are trying to justify a new gun. No need for justification. If you want it, get it and hold on to your old SA. We gunaholics recognize and accept this malady for what it is.

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY<P>
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ditto Punchie!
    Get it and hold on to your Sprigfield ... too many people I know have regretted letting one go to buy another ... myself included [:(]

Personally I don't like the Series II guns either and wont buy one ... to me, more parts and more gadgets don't make firearms any safer ... just more things to go wrong ... if I feel the need for another 1911 style pistol I'll probably be looking at a Dan Wesson or Smith 945 (8 different 1911 style Kimbers should be enough but you can't ever be sure)

===========================
    Chance favors the prepared mind
    kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    Richie RichRichie Rich Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a ultra carry, and love it. by the way aren't S A guns made in Brazil or somewhere.....
    Rich

Remember,"your woman may not find you handsome, But atleast she'll find ya handy". I love that show..............
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My gun is stamped Brazil and that's concerned me knowing that today they are made in the U.S. I thought I'd trade it off for a full size "loaded" model and have a Kimber someday in the next twelve months (if not sooner). I took it to the local gun show today and turned down $75 more than I paid for it. (I read the threads before I went). I do like the Springfield.

I like the appearance of the Eclipse model. Do the models that sell for $200 less function as well?

Vipereater
  • Options
    PythonPython Member Posts: 267 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Vipereater;
    I'm with punchie, sounds like purchase justification.
    If you want a kimber, then, buy one. Keep the S.A.. You might want to
    check the barrel link pin bores, if they where bored slightly out of square with each other, this can cause a pistol to shoot left, right,high,low, depending upon the direction of barrel deflection.
    The same is true of the barrel bushing, If the bore is slightly out of square to the bushing body, same problem. ALL 1911's and clones have an inherent amount of slack in these parts. Some more than others.
    In a Properly fitted gun all works well, If something is slightly off,
    You will have problems such as this. I bought a 70 series Gold Cup very cheaply once because it shot consistantly 6" right at 30 feet.
    The barrel bushing bore was off .0005, this caused the barrel to be out of square to the right. Installed new bushing, solved problem. The old colt is still going strong. You might check your's for such a problem. I have come across bad barrel bushing in S.A.'s over the years. There were those out square and a few with hair line cracks.
    Installing a new bushing always took care of the problem. Once I found a very slightly bent barrel link in a 1911A1, it shot consistantly left, about 5" at 25 feet, if memory serves. Something to consider before you dump the S.A.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Python, Thanks a bunch. I'll give the bushing change out a try.

Vipereater