In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Banker's Special

idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
edited March 2003 in Ask the Experts
I was chatting with an individual recently who asked me a question about a gun he owns. It's a Colt Banker's Special with a 2" barrel in .22 LR. Does anyone have any information on the dates that these were manufactured, how many were manufactured and what the possible value could be?

Comments

• Options
    bgl0b6bgl0b6 Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure when they were made but it is quite rare.I had one about 10 years ago and had trouble finding much about them.Most books only list the 38's.Value-mine was rusted and pitted deeply,nice blueing but deeply rusted about 20% of the finish and pitted way to deep to ever polish out.I sold mine to a dealer for resale for $550. and he was smiling all the way home.If in good shape probibly $1500+,very very rare gun in 22....Mike
  • Options
    22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    Made 1926 - 1940 Embedded head cyl intro 1933.
    It's Police Postive with a 2" barrel
    Big bucks for the 22 LR around $1400-$1500 for Exc. cond.
    I don't know how many were made

Snake.gif
    underwaysm.gif
    SOLD MY COW SO I DON'T NEED YOUR BULL
    A Grumpy Old Man
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    idsman75, you should know to contact me about any Colt!

I am not positive without checking, but I do not think the .22 was introduced until 1933, so all .22 Bankers Specials had the embeded head and round butt. I have one with factory pearl stocks and box.

Let me know if I can help on a more personal level.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This was more of a general topic of conversation in a chat room. I'll probably "chat" with that individual again on Sunday afternoon and I'll direct him to this thread. I would have called you Judge but it was more in passing personal interest because this is new to me and I was just trying to scratch that curious itch that I had in a hard-to-reach spot.

Thank you everyone.
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought 22WRF was mistaken about the dates given for the .22 Bankers' Special. I have now checked my Colt catalog file, and the .22 Bankers' is NOT in the January 1933 catalog nor any before it, but does show up in the October 1933 catalog as "The NEW Bankers' Special .22." The price shown is $28.50. Mine shipped May 11, 1933 to Campbell Pharamcy, Petersborough, New Hampshire, so it is obvious that the guns were being shipped before they were cataloged, but I am pretty sure no .22 Bankers' Specials were shipped before 1933. (Anybody from Petersborough who can tell me about Campbell Pharmacy? Since it was a one-gun shipment, I suspect a pharmacist ordered it for use behind the counter.)

idsman 75, have your guy call me to discuss the Bankers' in more detail. While I do not know how many .22s were made, the total production was over 35,000 according to Sutherland. I suspect the .22 was a small percentage of the total.
  • Options
    22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    Judge C.
    Rechecked my book and my answer was incomplete.
    (aka incorrect)
    quote: Made 1926 - 1940 Embedded head cyl intro 1933.
    Should have read: Made 1926 - 1940 Embedded head cyl 22 intro 1933.

Snake.gif
    underwaysm.gif
    SOLD MY COW SO I DON'T NEED YOUR BULL
    A Grumpy Old Man