In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Is folding stock legal

rebender49rebender49 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited March 2003 in Ask the Experts
I have a French MAS, bolt action, model 1936 paratrooper rifle. It has an aluminum folding stock. When the stock is folded the length is 25 1/4", I would like to list this for sale but I'm unclear whether it's legal.

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    This problem pops up from time to time with the US M1A1 paratrooper carbine, which is also a bit under 26" in length with the stock folded. The BATF took the position long ago that as long as the stock remains attacted to the rifle (folded only- not removed) and the barrel was over the 16" minimum length, these firearms were exempt from the 26" regulation. I have an M1A1 Carbine myself and it measures about 25-1/2" with the stock folded- they all do. Your MAS is okay as it is...just don't remove the stock.

Mark T. Christian