In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

new scope purchase narrowed down/help?

ohioghogohioghog Member Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2003 in Ask the Experts
i have narrowed down my new scope purchase for my 6mm. based on your input as follows:

sightron
springfield armory var. 56mm
leapold 24x
nikon monarch

anyone have direct experience with these?

your input will influence my purchase decision.

Comments

• woodyd70woodyd70 Member Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ohiohog, it looks like you've become more open to a fixed power scope. Forget the scope manufacturers for a minute, would you be more likely to go for a variable or fixed power? You listed 3 variable options and one fixed option, just wondering........ I think it would help to narrow your choice there first, then choose the manufacturer. Do you forsee most all of your shots to be long distance, or just some? I would not recommend the "high power" fixed scopes if you'll be shooting any at all under 100 yards, but on the other hand, if all your shots will be beyond 100 yards, it's definitely an option for you, just remember, a fixed power scope that is say 24 to 36 power will drastically limit field of view for shorter shots.......

woodyd
  • ohioghogohioghog Member Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WOODY:

THE LIST OF SCOPES GIVEN ARE THE BRANDS AND MODELS THAT I HAVE CHECKED OUT THROUGH OPINIONS FROM THIS FORUM AND ALSO CHECKING OUT THE SPECS FROM EACH MANUFACTURERS WEB SITES.
    MY SOLE PURPOSE FOR ASKING FOR SUGGESTIONS FROM THIS FORUM IS THE HOPE FOR SOMEONE WHO MAY ALREADY HAVE "HANDS ON" EXPERIENCE WITH ANY ONE OF THESE SCOPES. I VALUE, AND TAKE SERIOUSLY THE OPINION OF SOMEONE WHO HAS USED ONE OF THESE SCOPES IN AN EFFORT FOR ME TO MAKE AN INFORMED PURCHASING DECISION.

AS FOR MY FIXED AND VARIABLE POWER MIX OF CHOICES, THE HIGHER END SCOPES OFFER THIS FLEXIBILITY. MY SHOTS ARE PROBABLY 80% OVER 200 YARDS. GROUNDHOG HUNTING AND BENCHREST SHOOTING ARE MY PRIMARY HOBBY.
    THE FIELD OF VIEW NEED ONLY BE MINIMAL.
    THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT!!!
  • woodyd70woodyd70 Member Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Based on this info, you may very well need to go for the fixed power. I can't speak to the burris, weaver, etc. options as I have no experience with them, and don't want to sound like I'm against them at all..........In my experience in owning Nikon, Leupold, Zeiss and Swarovski primarilly, I know you can't go wrong with these. I just think if you want to stay in that $450 range, you'd be really safe going with either the leupold or the nikon. I wish you the best of luck in your search and best of luck with the ol' hogs. I know some farmer somewhere appreciates it as much as you enjoy it.........

woodyd
  • varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sightron, 50/50 chance of geting a good one.

Springfield, Pray you never have to send it for service.

Leupold, Cant go wrong.

Nikon, Very good for the money.

Me, I have repalced six Leupolds with Burris. Not a thing wrong with the Leupolds. Just in my opinion Burris has left them in the dust.

The most important things, Are not things.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I whole heartedly second Varmit Hunter on the Burris suggestion.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    For the 450.00 dollar range you stated in the original post, I'm surprised the Burris Signature 8-32 wasn't on that list! If you want high power you have it all the way to 32. If the temp is hot and it's sunny and bright, you can turn it down to help somewhat with the mirage and "target dancing" and when developing loads and shooting at BR targets, you can adjust the power to just fit the target spot and in my opinion shoot better groups!! Just my thoughts again! GHD
  • ohioghogohioghog Member Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have ommitted the springfield armory option due to some negative feedback i just recieved. i checked out the burris line. i like the burris however it is out of my price range eg: the 8x32 model which runs 599.00. what about weaver t36??.
    sightron seems to be reasonable too.

still looking........................
  • groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    ohioghog, You must not have checked out the links I sent you! The Burris Signature 8-32 fine duplex and target turrets is 459.00 and no shipping from Bear Basin Outfitters!!!! www.bearbasin.com And I think it is 459.95 from SWFA!!!! GHD
  • Daddy2B8162Daddy2B8162 Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have Leupold and Burris, I like them both. But I do favor the Leupold. I have had the Leupolds out on some days that maybe I should not have, but I have had no problems in over 20 years of using them. I have had them mounted on rifles ranging from 300 win mag to 222 rem. Good luck on picking the one that best suits you :) dd2b
  • Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have purchaed 3 Nikon Monarchs and they all have worked well. One was used on a 338 win mag and worked great. Never lost the point of impact after quite a few rough hunts and was dead on for a 309 yard shot in high winds at the end of the season. The best prices on these I have found are from a guy named Mark who sells refurbished monarchs at very good prices and is very honest. I bought a refurbished Silver Monarch on ebay and he was out so he sent me a brand new one instead for the same price. The refurb I also purchased from him was immaculate without a trace of any use. His email is HuntElk4@cs.com if you are interested.

Mad Dog
  • GotdeereGotdeere Member Posts: 293 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Leupold and I has treated me good, but now that I think about I haven't been to good to it. Maybe I need to clean it, just to feel better. But I have a friend that has a Springfield with a rangefinder or something similar in it and he raves over it. Good luck in your search and look at the long run deal (which will hold up the longest and still perform).