In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

repeat ques. re: 270 mauser w/jc higgins barrel

ohioghogohioghog Member Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2003 in Ask the Experts
i believe this to be a late 60's or 70's model purchased from sears.
beautiful wood, raised cheekpiece, proven mauser action. i have yet to shoot this weapon as i got it from my late grandfather.
the barrel is a jc higgins. from your earlier replies, the value of this gun is in the mid 300's. i topped it off with a scope(simmons pro 50 6x18...had it laying around). i just cant get past the jc higgins label and plan on selling it.
how much would you pay for this weapon with the scope??

i might have considered keeping it however no high power in ohio.

Comments

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,775 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    About $250-275 is the going price in this area at this time of year.

Mobuck
  • kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Depends, can I put a 6mm barrel on it and let you keep the "Higgins"?[:D]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • ohioghogohioghog Member Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    KINGJOEY;

NEVER, NEVER.....

WHEN I GET A PIC OF MY 6MM REM ILL POST IT.
  • 25-0625-06 Member Posts: 466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please contact me at <jmothes@pld.com> I would like to ask some questions Thanks, James.
  • PythonPython Member Posts: 267 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ohioghog;
    I would place you're rifle in the early 50's.
    Like a lot of others, J.C. Higgins re-barreled and restocked "surplus"
    Muasers for sporting rifles. I wouldnt let the "Higgins" label bother you too much. Like others of the time Higgins purchased their barrels from barrel makers like Douglas and McGowen. They where/are good rifles that will fill a freezer pretty handily. These rifles can be found with a variety of names, Ted Williams, JC Higgins, Western field, and Names like Mossburg and at one point Weatherby. Alas, because of the JC Higgins stigma, your's would bring less than some of the others. In my opinion, the name is the only difference. These guns where well fitted, finished, and head spaced. The only exception is the early Weatherby's, which were hand fitted and finished, They were a cut above the rest to be sure. JC Higgins has the unfortunate with inexpensive guns. Some Higgins products where very well made guns, but the "cheap" label stuck.
    edited November -1
    markings on the 270 are as follows:

on the berrel: jc higgins model 51
    sears & roebuck & co. 583.99

on the reciever: action made in belgium
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I looked at both the Blue Book and Gun Parts Corp cross over lists and do not find a model 51 listed for Sears. The lists are extensive, but obviously not exhaustive.

Because there is essentially no collector market (a handful of guys) for Sears rifles, they sell as used rifles. $250-$275 is likely about right. I have a similar rifle based on a 98 Mauser action that was sold by Herter's back when you could buy rifles by mail order. I am sure there is nothing whatever wrong with yours, too bad you don't need it.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ohioghog,

You have an FN Mauser made in Herstal, Belgium for Sears. There are bunches of these rifles out there mostly in .270 and 30-06. It should have a solid left side on the receiver (no thumb cut) and when you pull the bolt out and look into the back of the barrel you should see two cutouts, left and right which match up with the lugs in the open position. This is where the lugways were broached and went all the way through both sides of the inner ring instead of just the right side.

It is a perfectly fine rifle for hunting.

Regards.
    edited November -1
    regarding this 270 rifle:

i have recieved many emails about selling it.
    i have never sold a rifle on the internet before and to be quite frank, i am hesitant to do so.
    i had a bad experience selling a cb radio to somene in canada, i never got my money.

perhaps we should not get into selling on this forum since gunbroker.com governs that area. you can pull-up my profile and email me about the gun. if you desire, i can give you my phone # or you can give me yours.
    edited November -1
    by the way.............................i would be open to trades as well.