In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Springfield 1911 A1

jr1275jr1275 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
edited April 2003 in Ask the Experts
hello,

I bought a parkerized Springfield Armory 1911 A1 a little while back with hopes of modifying it. I never got around to it however. I enjoy target practice but I loath paying for a box of .45 so I avoid taking it to the range. I want to sell it but I am unsure of how much to ask. It can't have more than 200 rounds through it. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Comments

• jr1275jr1275 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi, Just got the sprinfield armory 1911 a1. first thing i want to add to this is a compensator. any recomendations on what im looking for? and secondly.. how the heck do they attach? I read one, and my understanding is that you have to get the barrel threaded, am i correct or misreading something? Or would i be better off buying a ported barrel instead of a compensator? whats the difference between the two? and with the sprinfield if i type "springfield 1911 ported barrel" i get nothing on a search, are all barrels for 1911's the same? regardless who makes it? are all the 1911 parts interchangeable and if not what am i specifically looking for when im searching things? LOL this is the 4th time i have edited this question.. bear with me.. whas the diffrence between a 1911 and a 1911A1?
    edited November -1
    yesterday i bought a springfield 1911 A1 brand new in the box never fired flawless, it has rosewood grips,and a bi-tone color to it the top half or the slide is stainless steel and the bottom part is black i gave 600.00 for it did i get a good deal also it has the adjustible night sites on it any info would be greatly appreciated thanks, (shotgunred) [:D][:D][:D] also it is a 45 acp if that helps any
  • PythonPython Member Posts: 267 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jr1275;
    Compensators and muzzle porting do essenially the same
    thing. While most compensators are threaded on to the barrel, some are silver soldered in place. Muzzle ports are cut into the barrel. Most are attached to a barrel of extended length. Muzzle ports can be cut into standard barrels, however, the forward portion of the slide must be ported, these MUST be aligned with and larger than the ports in the barrel to vent the gases properly. Barrels with compensators pre-attached, will also have the barrel bushing on them, for the obvious reason. Wilson, Douglas, A-Square, to name a few, manufacture
    such barrels, barrel slide combos,etc. while alot of parts do swap among 1911 type pistols and the various clones, not all are compatible. Make curtain the parts you select are made for the Springfield. The Model 1911 is the Colt pistol that started this whole thing. The 1911A1 is the Springfield variant. The clones are nearly endless, as is the quality from maker to maker. Some are nearly carbon copies of the Colts, parts interchange easily, and the quality is excellent, Then there are those that are scrape metal shaped like a pistol. Check with the varios after market and performnace parts makers, you will,no doubt,find a wide range of parts for you're pistol. Happy Hunting.
    edited November -1
    Thanks Python, do you think the springfield is a decent gun? and do you have any recomendations on a decent ported or compensator and new barrel?
  • rchawkrchawk Member Posts: 84 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi jr,
    You might look in Brownell's catalogue. They have some compensators that basically replace the barrel bushing. They come with and without new barrels. With and without porting, etc. Just an idea.

Hawk

I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6!
  • PalantirionPalantirion Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a Wilson comp for my KZ45 and it noticably reduces muzzle rise. I like Wilson's because it's easy to add/remove, depending on how I want to shoot that day (match/home defense, respectively). Don't forget the necessary two-piece guide rod and reduced-power spring!

p.s. It's pretty hard to get the spring and back-half of the two-piece guide rod to sit still when installing the comp, but after doing it three or so times it becomes more routine.

www.ebsart.com
    "Live by the three 'R's: Respect, Responsibility and Residuals."