In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

six shooter hammer positions

beantolebeantole Member Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2003 in Ask the Experts
I recently purchased an AWA Longhorn six shooter.
It does not have a passive safety bar so it must be carried with the hammer on an empty chamber. But is does have 4 cock positions.
The third is for loading and the fourth position is for firing.
Anyone know what the 2nd cock position is for? Thanks.

Bruce

Comments

• Jody CommanderJody Commander Member Posts: 855 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While it is safer to carry only five rounds, the cylinder has six chamberings, the first notch is to keep the firing pin from riding directly on the primer of a loaded cartridge when the sixth chamber is loaded.
  • MikeinScappooseMikeinScappoose Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is common for this tyep of gun to have four clicks when cocking,but only 3 actual stopping points.Is that what you mean?
  • rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    The first hammer position is to keep the hammer off the pin or if the pin is mounted on the hammer it's to keep it from riding on the primer, the second locking position is to allow the cylinder to rotate freely for unloading/loading/reloading and the last position is to fire. Yes it is more safe to carry a single action 6 shooter on an empty chamber but as long as your gun is in good working condition and the hammer locks properly on the safety position carrying it with all 6 chambers loaded shouldn't pose a problem.

snw.jpg
  • beantolebeantole Member Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. There are 4 actual locking positions as far as I can tell. I would hesitate to use the first locking position with a live bullet in the chamber. I think they tell us to carry it with no bullet under the hammer. And yes, the "firing pin" is on the hammer itself. I still don't know what that 3rd locking position is for...........I can't fire it, I can't spin the cylinder, I don't know. But thanks again for the info.

Bruce
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes I also have a "Longhorn" in 32/20. The gun actually does have a safety and that is what the second notch is for. Your cylinder pin has two notches on it. If you remove it you'll see what I mean. If you depress the cross pin and push the cylinder pin in to the second notch, it will keep the hammer from falling any farther than the second position you mention. This safety is more for the lawyers than practical use. I carry mine in the traditional way hammer down on an empty chamber. This style "safety" was added to many of the imported guns to get enough points to qualify for importation. The longhorn is actually assembled here in the states from Italian made parts.

Once you try using it, you'll soon realize, it's more dangerous than having no safety at all. Even after quite a bit of shooting mine is still really tight. You're fiddling around with a loaded gun playing with the hammer with your fingers in front of a loaded cylinder!! It's much easier to just remember the old routine: Load one, skip one, load four, close the gate, bring it to full cock, lower the hammer. The empty chamber will be under the hammer every time this way.

Woods
  • rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    Although I do suggest having the firearm pointed in a safe direction before you drop the hammer on what you think should be the empty chamber, we don't want no boo boo's.[:D][:p]

snw.jpg
  • Supreme OneSupreme One Member Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello, I understand the safety issue, but if you only load 5 rounds why don't you just have the sixth one plugged? Then you won't have to worry about it at all. Just make sure you always put that one under the hammer.
    There is no substitute for being safe.

Michael

Paranoid keeps you alive, worry just gives you stomach problems.

Politics- From the words poly, meaning many, and tics, which are just little blood suckers.

If "con" is the opposite of "pro," then what is the opposite of progress?
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bruce,
    I assume you picked up your "Longhorn" second hand. The "safety" is covered in the manual. If you don't have one email me and I'll photo copy mine and send it to you.

Woods
  • beantolebeantole Member Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Woodsrunner: Thanks for the info. I purchased the Longhorn brand new one month ago from CDNN. It is the second firearm I have purchased from them and NEITHER had an instruction manual. When I call them they feign surprise and have none available. I would really appreciate a manual for the Longhorn if you can email it to me at:

dejure@isp01.net

Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce