In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Laser sight question

thebrowncowthebrowncow Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
edited March 2003 in Ask the Experts
My question is can a laser sight be used in combination with a night vision scope. I havent tried it but I will be getting a night vision scope soon and dont want any problems. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Gunbroker rocks.
The Browncow

Comments

• Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Laser sights of the flashlight variety are great with night vision, but DON'T look at the laser with night vision! You will permanently damage the image intensifier also if you use it during the day.
    Hope you didn't spend a lot; thermal imaging is getting cheaper every day!

If you know it all; you must have been listening.WEAR EAR PROTECTION!
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From what I understand there is also an IR laser that can only be seen with night vision, but I haven't actually seen it (maybe that was the point [;)])
    I second gunnut, DO NOT have the laser on if you are using the night vision. It might be a great combo to use laser in low light and night vision at night...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info, all. My next question is, If looking at a laser through night vision will hurt the unit then, if you were trying to stop people from seeing you with night vision, would flashing a laser around damage night vision units. For example, I Iraq at night the U.S military is all using night vision. Both soldiers and pilots. If Iraqi soldiers had laser(sights) and were flashing them around, would that damage our night vision units?
  • Options
    maggiethecatmaggiethecat Member Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you've been lied to. if you have a visible laser on your gun, you CAN use night vision with it and NOT harm any component of the night vision. i know this from personal experience Night vision devices have resisitors built into them for instances such as these. i have used NVG in broad daylight with out harm. if you were to point the laser at a wall then look at the wall with Night vision it would appear to be large and fuzzy. this is due to the light magnification. were you to buy an IR laser(visible only with night vision) you would reduce the risk of someone seeing the laser. but since you arent likely to be in a life or death situation, use the laser you have. i say again, YOU WILL NOT HARM THE NIGHT VISION DEVICE BY USING IT IN CONJUNCTION WITH A VISIBLE LASER. this is from personal experience, not just what i heard or read

SGT USMC

The greatest happiness is to see your enemy scattered before you, to see his village in ashes, and to gather to your bed his wives and daughters.-Genghis Khan 1226
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Maggiethecat
    I really appreiciate all the feedback, especially first hand knowledge. Keep up the good work all. Thanks
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maggie is assuming it is a later generation night vision equipment. The early generation stuff (the readily available cheap stuff) doesn't have it. I ruined a monocular because a buddy hit his alarm transmitter on his vehicle and it flashed the lights.
    I had heard that the new stuff has a limiter that shuts it off if exposed to too much light but have no first hand experience with it (I can't afford it). I assume it works similar to the principle like hearing aids not amplifying the sound if it is above a certian DB.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    larrymaglarrymag Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope this the right place to do this. I just joined. I know very little about night vision and laser sights. I've shot rifles for 40 years, but very little at night. I'm wondering if I can put a NV scope and a laser sight on the same rifle. Does this make sense?
  • Options
    Rappidfire_ArmsRappidfire_Arms Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have several friend's that use the NV sight with a laser with no problems at all.If you want to try something a little different I believe you will like it.In January of 2003 I purchased a U.S. NightVision 242 (almost identical to the US Military PVS 4) with the illuminated crosshair.I have it mounted to a Stoner SR-25 and it performs better than I could ever imagine.Two of my friend's with the NV/Laser systems have ordered the 242's.The tandem setup of NV/laser looks quite impressive but if you want the apex of performance try the 242.[:D]