In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Which .38 +P load is best for carry?

beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
I've heard that the "best" .38 +P load is the 158 grain one, called the "FBI load" since it used to be standard issue to FBI undercover agents.

Does anyone know of a commercial manufacturer that sells this particular load?

Is there a better .38 +P round out there?

Comments

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,006 ******
    edited November -1
    Winchester loads it. Catalog #38XSPD I think.

It is a 158 grain lead hollow point semi-wadcutter loaded to +P pressure. It is hot and dirty. The bullet lube makes a lot of smoke and it gets the gun really dirty.

But, it is a great round.

FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net
  • Options
    GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like and use the Federal 129 Grain Hydra-Shok. It is Catalog # P38HS1G. This is cleaner shooting then the Winchester, and is jacketed. I personally am not a huge fan of Winchester ammunition, this because I have personally had several rounds fail to fire, these were .357 Magnum 145 grain Silvertips. I also know of several other fail to fires on the same kind of ammo at the same time frame from other peoples guns. I know of one Police Officer that had a failure to fire on a 40 S&W Black Talon. All of these rounds fired with a 2nd hit on the primer and the guns springs had not been altered. I also had a Winchester Buckshot round make a funny sound and the wad and shot dropped to the ground about 20 feet ahead of the gun. That round however had been carried in a vehicle for about a year or so, so it may have deteriorated over time but I have never had a problem with federal Hydra-Shoks or their buckshot and slug ammo. I don't have a lot of experience with the FBI load having only shot a few boxes of them. It may work just great but I am happy the the Federal Brand stuff and will stick with it until it fails me. Just my 2 cents worth!
  • Options
    JAK71454JAK71454 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with GUNFUNCO. Federal primers are a lot softer than Winchester. I use them in guns with reduced springs and they still go off. Captain

Jim Kammerer
  • Options
    dbaraledbarale Member Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you're carrying a snub, Speer's Gold Dot .38+P were developed for good performance out of short barrels... They meet FBI specs.

Daniel.
  • Options
    pagunpartspagunparts Member Posts: 186 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best carry "load" is the one that you train with !!

Targets not hit, don't know that you're using the latest, greatest, hotest new anti-personal rounds.

Buy/select a brand/load, SHOOT the ammo, then SHOOT some more of the same ammo. Practise, practise, practise !!

Think like this (its a triangle) YOU / GUN / AMMUNITION

If YOU keep changing one/two of the variables above, how do you compare improvements ??
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pagunparts

Targets not hit, don't know that you're using the latest, greatest, hotest new anti-personal rounds.

Buy/select a brand/load, SHOOT the ammo, then SHOOT some more of the same ammo. Practise, practise, practise !!

Think like this (its a triangle) YOU / GUN / AMMUNITION

If YOU keep changing one/two of the variables above, how do you compare improvements ??

Respectfully, who said anything about changing anything? Obviously you practice with the ammo you carry.

The question is, given the choice, which one should I carry?

I'm not going to shoot 100 people under laboratory conditions and compare to see which ammo works best!
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gun Tests Magazine ran a test on these types of ammo recently. They found the Win. USA 38 HP to provide the best performance in expansion, penetration, and acceptable accuracy in the test gun. I just got 5 boxes to try out for myself.

Mobuck<BR>
  • Options
    pagunpartspagunparts Member Posts: 186 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pagunparts

Targets not hit, don't know that you're using the latest, greatest, hotest, new anti-personal rounds.

Bullet placement via accuracy gets the job done !

How much faster is a Corvette with BF Goodrich tires over the same vehicle with Firestones ?? when the other conditions are the same.[}:)]