In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

FN FiveseveN

diznuffdiznuff Member Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
edited June 2005 in Ask the Experts
WHAT IS THE SCOOP ON THE FN FIVESEVEN? ANY OPINIONS? TROUBLES?THANKS MIKE

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    What is the difference between iom @ usg?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'v been keeping my eye on the FN FiveseveN. It looks like a helluva good pistol to add to my collection. Althogh the only rep I have heard from this gun is the "cop killer" BS. Anyone have any experience with this pricey gun and could provide some feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanx[:D]

_bm.jpg God is good. God is great.
    Only God can make a Boatswain's Mate!
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    I don't see any civilian use of this Plastic gun that is made to shoot the armor piercing ss-190. It has no safety and its ugly and is around $600..huh sounds like a glock.
  • Options
    dfsdfs Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a very nice gun, they are very accurate. It works wonderfully on varmints, coyotes and fox. It would also make a very nice short range deer gun. It would be wonderful if somebody would make a scope mount for this gun. As far as I know the armor piercing ammo is only available to law enforcement and military. And there are many other caliber handguns out there if equipped with the right ammo can pierce bullet proof vests. All that nonsense is just the anti gun nuts at work trying to do what they do best. And if you haven't seen, FN has released the companion rifle to this pistol in a civilian model, how ever they are pricey, about $1300.00.
  • Options
    65gto38965gto389 Member Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do not let me discourage you from buying this pistol if you have your heart set on it; However I will offer my feed back.

It is mostly plastic (besides barrel) and I personally do not like that kind of gun. that is why I go with revolvers or 1911 style guns.

Ammo is rare and expensive, and is not even offered in my local gun shop.

FN made this round as a replacement fo the 9mm; and while it can outperform the 9mm; the 9mm ammo can be found almost anywhere due to its widespread use.

I think the bark (report) will be more than the bite (recoil) due to the fact that the round is such a small size.

What I do like about it is the mag capacity. Twenty (20) rounds as opposed to the beretta or browning high power which has 15 - 17 at most.

From what I here the hollow point round that even it has a hole drilled in the round to indicate a hollow point, it operates much more like a FMJ round.

Here are links for general info about the 5.7 x 28 pistol and round.

http://www.fortliberty.org/military-library/fn-5.7.shtml
    http://remtek.com/arms/fn/57/index.htm
    http://www.answers.com/topic/5-7-x-28-mm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.7_mm
    http://web4.integraonline.com/~bbroadside/Ballistic_Info.html (not that it matters, but I do not see the .475 wildey listed[:0])

6huwkw.gif

Hope this info has been helpful.[^]

" Those who give up a little freedom for temporary security, deserve neither freedom nor security "
    - Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Although they are mostly plastic in construction, they're a well made pistol. I own one for myself and have one in inventory right now. As others have mentioned, as a shooter they're enjoyable but very expensive. As an invenstment they're worth every penny and then some.

If you do want one I'd buy it. If anything is going to be banned it's this pistol because of the misinformation out there regarding the armor piercing ability of the 5.7x28 round. That will cause demand and value to increase. Plus it's a conversation piece.

cat.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well thanks for the input.

_bm.jpg God is good. God is great.
    Only God can make a Boatswain's Mate!
  • Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    To set the record straight, it does have a safety, got a couple as a matter of fact. One above the trigger that prevents the trigger from operating, a magazine safety that prevents use of the pistol if the magazine is not in the well and locked in.

I have one and enjoy shooting it. Ammo is a little on the pricey side right now but prices are coming down. Reloading seems to be a good way to keep the cost of shooting one down.

Noise is less than a 9mm and recoil is on par with a 22 mag.

Nice and light to carry even with a full mag.

Have not tried it on a vest but it will NOT shoot through the 1/16" plate steel on the side of my trailer, dents it about the same as what a 22 mag does.

Pistol is a little pricey also and think that there are folks out there that are gouging folks on them. It is my understanbding that FN is selling to dealers/distributors at the $600 price range, buy 4 and get 1 free. Cannot see where someone can charge $1,300.00 for one, and then add insult to injury by selling the magazines that are included for $35.00 each.

Have not used it on anything other than a rabbit yet, killed it like lightning. Make an aerosol can explode in a satisfying cloud.
  • Options
    rwfixemrwfixem Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was talking to a L.E. friend (Federal) and the Feds have been the big push behind the blow softball size holes in body armour. They give the field agents several pages of handouts about how dangerous this "cop killer" gun and ammo is.
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    It would be nice if some US mfg made a rifle for this round. My 2 cents [8D]

Greg
    Former Marine
    2nd A N G L I C O
  • Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Had a copperhead surprise me this afternoon when he, or she, slithered out from under my truck. 5.7 works great on snakes. Tears them up bad.

If a snake surprises me by suddenly appearing close by, my first reaction is to kill it, no matter the species or it's intentions. Just the way I'm programed I guess.
  • Options
    hksrulehksrule Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gap1916
    It would be nice if some US mfg made a rifle for this round. My 2 cents [8D]

Greg
    Former Marine
    2nd A N G L I C O

+1

Anybody comes through that door, you put two in the chest and one in the head!