In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Win model 70

westlund_125westlund_125 Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
What is the difference between a "pre 64" and not other than the obviousm year thing.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my gun.

Comments

• westlund_125westlund_125 Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the looks of the winchester model 70 super shadow but how do they shoot. How do they comper to other guns like the remington 700? Any help would be great. thanks

"A good scope can end a bad situation"
  • deadeye46deadeye46 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    lot of readers and no answers?my opinion is they shoot as good as a 700,good luck on your purchase
  • codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    I like the Model 70. Accuracy is as good out of the box.

• Xcalibur2Xcalibur2 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought the SuperShadow in 7mmWSM for my 15 year old son, we have shot over 600 rounds thus far. Accuracy improved dramatically after about the first 140 - 160 rounds, I attribute that to breaking in and smoothing out the barrel. The first 7 - 10 boxes of ammo we had a significant amount of copper fouling, but after putting a little wear on the barrel the copper fouling has diminished a great deal. We pulled the scope, bases and rings off of the factory rifle and replaced them with Millet rings and bases and a Bushnell Banner scope. We have shot numerous sub moa groups with everyting from sierra 130hpbt match bullets to 160 barnes xlc bullets. Personally I like the stock on the SuperShadow, and the factory recoil pad does work very well. We have been very pleased with the rifle, I would not hesitate to buy another one. Another notabe feature of the SuperShadow is the length of pull is slightly shorter than a Remington rifle would be, this has made the rifle a little easier for my son to handle. They are a good solid rifle and they are offered in all the Winchester Short Mag chamberings. I think I would be more concerned about what rifle round do I want to shoot and if I am not going to reload is the ammo affordable? All the WSM cartridges are $20-$25 a box or more for factory ammo. All of the WSM cartridges are fine performers and highly accurate.

Life member NRA
  • TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Xcalibur2, I have a Model 70 in 7mm WSM on lay-away. How did you clean the copper fouling out of the barrel? What bullet weights do you like best?

"Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away." Thoreau
  • codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    Xcal- sounds like a fire honing was in order there. A reloading friend turned me on to it when I got my mod 70 and I'm a believer.

Walker- I used the foaming bore cleaner. pump it in wait 30 mins patch it out repeat until the foam no longer turns blue. Shouldn't be more than 2 times tho'

• westlund_125westlund_125 Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sounds good[8D]

"A good scope can end a bad situation"