In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

smith/wesson model 586

wcoxy2003wcoxy2003 Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
edited November 2006 in Ask the Experts
i have a chance to buy one of these (blued) for $250.00. it looks to be in real good condition. havent shot it yet. but anyway i was trying to look up this model. this model evidently isnt made anymore. i think they up-scaled it to the model 686. the ones i have seen for sale on here have the red front sight. this one just has a sharp front sight. and i cant seem to find any pics. of this certain design. can anyone give me some info or send me apic. about this model? thanks

Comments

• justright58justright58 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:p]
    If I were you, I'd make a bee-line to purchase this revolver. Check the timing of the cylinder and if its tight, GO FOR IT. S&W's blueing is usually top notch and will clean up nicely. Hose 'er down with Breakfree and savor the ownership experience.
    John
  • justright58justright58 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And one more thing... I have three 686's and the action on the BLUE 586 is a lot smoother. Something about stainless that it won't machine down as finely as blue. Enjoy!
  • PC800PC800 Member Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    686 is the stainless version and the 586 is the blued version of the same gun. Great guns, buy it if it checks out ok.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,737 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TO LATE,I JUST BOUGHT IT!!!
  • lfi guylfi guy Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one with the black epoxy finish. It has a great action, and is accurate. I filed the stock grip to fit my hand. It's a great piece.
  • crims40crims40 Member Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is mine...I really love this revolver. It's smooth as glass and the trigger is crisp. As far as I know, no work has ever been done on it. Pardon the bad picture.
    I traded a Ruger P95 for it this summer and never looked back.....[:D][:D]
    crims40
    SW.jpg
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree, $250.00 is a great price for a 586 in good shape. Justright is correct, the 686 is not an upgrade of the 586.... its the same gun made of different metal.

I have a couple 686's and Iam always looking for a couple 586's for my collection. I think the reason the 586 actions are smoother is not so much the machining process, but the galling that goes on with stainless guns.

SWM-686.jpg
  • wcoxy2003wcoxy2003 Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hi guys and "Crims40", i see that yours has the more rounded front sight with the red on it. this one has like i said earlier just the flat and kinda sharp on the tip. it looks like it would snag on cut into the holster. this one must be a older version of the 586 would`nt you think? amd it says its a 586-3. but it has a 4 inch barrel. and thanks to all for your imput. and tooooooooo late "mm8nambu", i bought it earlier last night heheheheheh.once again thanks to all for your replies.
  • coffinhandlercoffinhandler Member Posts: 106 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own 6 S&W revolvers. The 686,648, and 645 are in stainless, and the 17-3, 14-3, and 586 are blued. There is quite a difference in the triggers on the stainless versus the blued. It is almost to the point that I wonder if these guns were manufactured by the same manufacturer. All the blued models have very crisp triggers with the best being the 14-3 followed very closely by the 586. The best of the stainless is the 645, but it does not compare with any of the blued models. I purchased all the blued models used, and the stainless models new, so maybe the triggers were more broken in better. I like the 586 so much better than the 686 that I rarely use the 686. Everyone who has shot my 586 marvels at the quality of the trigger and the accuracy of that gun. If I had the chance I would buy any 586 for that price in a heartbeat.
  • CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You wont be disappointed.

PJ