In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bore Description Question

ndbillyndbilly Member Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2006 in Ask the Experts
"Bore dark but with no pitting", or "Dark bore but rifling sharp" means what, exactly? The firearm was not cleaned after firing a long time ago? The "dark" is a permanent state? How does a dark bore with sharp rifling perform as opposed to one with sharp rifling and a shiny bore?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my opinion, a "dark" bore is pitted! It may be microscopic, but it indicates there is something in that bore that holds carbon fouling. There is a very slight chance it may just need a cleaning, but if it did, why did the seller not do it to increase the value/saleability of the rifle? I.E.,... a polite way to say "lightly pitted" with sharp rifling, and yes, although it may be slight, it WILL affect the accuracy. Best case scenario...you will have to clean the gun more often/comprehensively than a non-pitted bore as those little pits will peel off more copper from the jacket than a glass smooth barrel. Best of luck, and don't let them snow you!
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    it depends on what kind of gun and what YOU want to do with it. older military firearm that you what to bust cans with in the gravel pit = ok. varmit rifle expected to hit small targets at extended range = no way. like 1kydstr said, a - when it comes to pricing.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MAN! I sure wish I COULD find a gravel pit to bust cans in. Illinois just sucks.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "MAN! I sure wish I COULD find a gravel pit to bust cans in. Illinois just sucks."... FROM WHAT I'VE SEEN OF ILL., IF YOU DUG A HOLE 3' DEEP IN 24 HOURS IT'D HAVE 2' OF WATER IN IT (AND THREE OR FOUR BOATS)[}:)]
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    It is usually a set of terms used to describe bores on old guns, either from the blackpowder era or on military guns that were fired (and not properly cleaned) using corrosive primers.

I would rate bores on this scale in this fashion:

Bright and shiny

Frosted- very light pitting, but the bore still shines.

Dark grooves, strong rifling- enough pitting so that it doesn't shine, but the rifling is still distinct; the fouling and corrosion in the grooves did not ruin the rifling. Should still shoot fine, but will be harder to clean. Sometimes listed as "Sharp rifling, debris in lands."

Dark bore overall- it HAS spread to the rifling. Now accuracy may start to trail off.

Sewerpipe-so rusty you can't see rifling or can barely see through the bore. It STILL might shoot ok, you never know, but odds are against it.
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got to agree with 1KYDSTR. WHY don't some sellers clean the bore. I have always held the thought that if the bore could "probably clean up", the seller would have done it. But it is so very common for sellers to say stuff like that..and like "bore just needs a good cleaning". Right away that dumps the price down for me, and I'll get out-bid...fine. What amazes me is when I DO make a purchase, reduced because of my doubts of the bore, and it cleans up just fine with only a little more effort than a normal cleaning. THAT I just don't understand. They must be selling from a PILE of guns and will not consider cleaning them up.

At any rate... EVERYONE APPRECIATES AN HONEST SELLER...who is probably a pretty good person too. That makes the dirty bore folks, well dirty bore holes.
  • Options
    blacarrowblacarrow Member Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a project Mauser 98 that haD A "DARK" bore. I put off finishing the project because of this. Then I ran across an ad for Big 45 Frontier metal cleaner. Said it would clean almost any bore. I also learned about Butch's Bore Bright.

I thought I'd give them a try. People at Big 45 were OUTSTANDING, sent off one immediately. Looks for all the world like a pot scrubber. I used it as the directions indicated in conjunction with the Butch's product and SHAZAM!!, I now have a bright shiney bore, better than I had hoped for. I've played around with firearms for over 50 years and wish I had a bunch that I passed on due to "dark bores".

No guarantees, but you might give one or both a try.

Hope this helps.