In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

OLD rifle Cartridges

Horney toadHorney toad Member Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2006 in Ask the Experts
I have found many boxes of old rifle ammo in when cleaning out my Grandfathers basement. These were cartridges such as 30-06, 223, and others, mainly Super-x and Remington. They were from the 1960s. I really don't know what to do with these. Are they still good? Are they safe?[?]

Comments

• Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Speaking GENERALLY, old FACTORY ammo should be fine back at least 70 years or so. Since I cannot see it personally, I can't give you a resounding "OK" on that, but it SHOULD be fine.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Horney Toad,

+1 on what 1KYDSTER says provided you don't see any corrosion.
  • Options
    1022man1022man Member Posts: 512 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As stated you should be safe. But depending on how dry the basement was the ammo could be no good. Ammo dosn't do well in wet conditions. Also dependingh on box/ammo condition they may be worth more as collector vrs shooter.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1022man - Virtually no "collector" value to standard Win / Rem loadings of that era.

Horney toad - this stuff ain't old, boy; you're just too young! [;)][;)][;)] Seriously, however, if it has been stored well, no reason not to send it down range. I've shot uncountable rounds of that era and earlier.
  • Options
    Horney toadHorney toad Member Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks. Most of the calibers I do not need. Is it legal to sell online and to ship?
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi,

Yes, in most states it is legal to sell and ship ammunition. You might want to check local and state law first. Loaded cartridges cannot be sent through the US Postal Service and must be shipped by UPS.

Regards,

Heavyiron