In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger M77/22 vs 17?

roderickproderickp Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
edited March 2008 in Ask the Experts
I'm looking into picking up a Ruger 77/22 magnum, 77/22, or 77/17 - what are the pros and cons of these rounds? I'd use it for both plinking and small game as well as practice for handling/proficiency of larger caliber bolt actions.

Comments

• Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Locate a 17 Mach 2 in the 77/17 Ruger and your in for the time of your life with it.
    Deadly accurate out to 100 yards, and will flat out shoot the 22 rim fires...
  • Options
    hslaterprycehslaterpryce Member Posts: 927 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have both in the 77. And I have both in other platforms as well. For your intended use (in my opinion) either will work fine. Someone will come along with the ballistics comparisons, however, both are great plinking rounds and are great for small game out to 100yards+. The .22M is CHEAPER for the ammo and the .17 HMR is a little flatter shooting, but the barrel fouls a little faster due to the diamater, so it requires more cleaning while shooting to maintain accuracy - but both are great on small game. The .17 might be a tad more accurate (with no wind). Me, I put them both aside and use a 5MM, but that's me... Can't go wrong with either, matrter of fact maybe you should consider having both[:D][;)]
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The most logical for lots of practice and edible small game would be the 22LR. The 17M2 is a very good little round if you can find a rifle chambered for it, and the 17HMR and 22WMR are outstanding rounds that are very under rated for the size of the game in which they can harvest. Personally, I would opt for a CZ 452/453 platform over the Ruger, and I have both, the Ruger Varmint in 22WMR, and the CZ 453 Varmint in 17HMR. They will both shoot dimesized groups at 100 yards on a windless day. The Ruger has been severely worked over to do that, the CZ...it is stock out of the box.

Best